Overnight backpacking recommendations near LA

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Raj217

Overnight backpacking recommendations near LA

by Raj217 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:08 am

I plan to go backpacking for one night into the San Gorgonio Wilderness during Thanksgiving weekend.

What are my options considering these factors:
1. Less than 15 miles RT over 2 days.
2. Some trails are closed due to fire.
3. Water availability this time of year.
4. Many of the trails start at about 6000 feet and camps located at ~7000 feet. The temps at that altitude will probably be below 30s. that's too cold for me. So are there any options to stay lower and warmer (mid-30s is probably about ok).
5. Good expansive views.. i do not want to be hiking in the woods all the time with no views at all.

If nothing in SGW can be found considering above, any recommendations for overnight backpacking trip close to LA ? Please no Jo Tr NP. Any recommendations for backpacking in San Gabriel Mountains ? Sn Jacinto SP ?

Deb

Re: Overnight backpacking recommendations near LA

by Deb » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:29 pm

First of all, San Gorgonio is nowhere near LA; it is a decent distance northeast of Riverside across I-10 and several winding mountain roads...depending on which aspect you wish to visit. I prefer the north side from Jenks Lake; you have options to climb/hang out on Charlton, Little Charlton, Jepson and Gorgonio itself...all in a short day's trip. Secondly, if you are not wanting to be in the forest, you are visiting the wrong place. The tree line BEGINS to thin around 10K, BUT you can camp at Horse Camp which is only a ridiculous less than 2 miles from the trailhead, so what's the point? Or further up the trail to Poop-Out, but again...what's the point? Keep going to Dry Lake. Rambo camping in many places can be done, but if you aren't willing to deal with temps lower than 30 degrees, you better make different plans and just dayhike while sleeping in a motel somewhere. There will, no doubt, be snow on the trails around the mountain which may, or may not, hamper your progress. Plenty of water along the North Fork trail too. With the stipulation of less than 15RT in 2 days, you aren't giving yourself much chance to get back in there for any expansive views - you will be hiking in the woods most of the time. I've spent years out there climbing peaks, couloirs and skiing the same, so it is all very familiar to me. Sounds like your best option is to dayhike and skip carrying your house on your back. :)
The San Jacinto, San Gabriel, San Gorgonio and San Bernardino ranges have so many options for dayhikes to peaks, there isn't much reason to do an overnight for any of these...and there will be snow on the ground. But you WILL be in the trees hiking for most of the day.

asmrz

by asmrz » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:10 pm

Debbie and OP

About three weeks ago, Penelope and I worked on the part of PCT that crosses Onyx summit (three day business trip for NPS). Most of the North Side of Gorgonio is closed due to the recent fire on the North side. That includes most of the trail heads from Angelus Oaks to Jenks, to Poop-out Hill. To the OP, if you really must go to Gorgonio, check the access with Forest Service first. You might want to reconsider your plans.
P.S. I would go to Mt. Baldy...

The following user would like to thank asmrz for this post
Deb

phydeux

by phydeux » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:16 pm

As stated above, the north side access routes to San Gorgonio are closed until (at least) July 2016. This includes Foresee Creek (except the Johns Meadow offshoot), South Fork, Lost Creek, and Fish Creek/Aspen Grove. I believe the San Bernardino Peak trail is still open up to the San Bernardino Peak summit, but that starts at 7000 ft and goes to over 10,000 ft so it would be too high by your requirements. Nice open views from the Limber Pine campsite at around 9000 ft, but there's probably some residual snow from the small storms we've been getting the last few weeks, too. Look around on the local website www.sgwa.org , and you can see what's still open

Throwing out a few wild cards here:

Anza Borrego State Park east of San Diego The desert should be cool by Thanksgiving, and there are canyons (with water flow from springs) that can provide some interesting hiking and backcountry camping. The park has a good website, but also check on line and any guidebooks at your local library.

Santa Ana Mountains between San Diego, Riverside, and Orange Counties. Try the Santa Rosa Plateau & Ecological Reserve area on the Riverside/San Diego side off of I-15, west of Murrieta and Wildomar. They are low altitude (<3000 ft) and there are a few streams running through the area for water supplies. You should be able to plan a two day hike through there pretty easily. Jerry Schad (RIP) has a good book on the place "Afoot and Afield in Orange County" that covers the area pretty well.

Can anyone chime in about anything north and west of Los Angeles? (toward the Los Padres NF, Verdugo Mtns, Mt Pinos area, Santa Monica Mountains)

A real 'out-there' option would be to take the boat out to the Channel Islands National Park (Santa Rosa in particular, I believe). It has a walk-in campsite not far from the dock on the inland side of the island, a campsite on the ocean side (no fresh water but its a fairly moderate out-and-back one day hike from the dock)) and the hiking (and views) are pretty spectacular across the island when you get up high, not to mention the wildlife. Gotta watch the weather on this one, as it can get pretty nasty out there if a winter storm rolls in.

The following user would like to thank phydeux for this post
Raj217

fatdad

by fatdad » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:39 pm

There's a few things in the LA area but it's somewhat limited. You could hike up Santa Anita Canyon from Chantry Flats to Sturtevant's Camp. It's about 4.5 miles to camp but you could make camp and then keep hiking to the top of Mt. Wilson. You could hike up the Ski Hut Trail on Mt. Baldy and camp at the hut. I've seen folks camp at Icehouse Saddle, but seems like it could be pretty chilly and windy up there now.

The following user would like to thank fatdad for this post
Raj217

no avatar
Raj217

by Raj217 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:53 am

Thanks phydeux. Your post got me thinking.. I am going to try Angeles NF/San Gabriel Mtns.
Probably will set camp at Little Jimmy campground and go up Islip and Throop peak.
Other option is to go up Bear creek trail; but will have to call rangers for conditions.

Thanks again guys for your valuable recommendations.

Return to California