Topographic maps

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
mbwellmon

Topographic maps

by mbwellmon » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:06 am

Anyone know where to get maps? I'm currently looking for maps of the Black Mountains (Mt. Mitchell State Park). I've got several trips planned for this year and obviously I need several maps... But where do I get them. I'm used to the Army handing me maps saying "go here, do this, come back." Is there a place I can buy topographical maps for leisure trips? Thanks in advance.

Stu Brandel

Re: Topographic maps

by Stu Brandel » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:47 pm

National Geographic's Trails Illustrated series of maps has a nice one of the Mt. Mitchell area that I have used, though the scale is not as detailed as a standard topo quad (I tend to use these for navigating to/from the trailhead in the confusing appalachian roads more than on the trail). There are several online services too - here is one that SPers told me about:http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=35.76504,-82.26517&z=15&b=t

The following user would like to thank Stu Brandel for this post
seano

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:17 pm

I agree with Stu, I use the Trails Illustrated maps all the time, particularly for planning purposes. The detail tends to not be there, but for hiking/peakbagging in the southeast I haven't found the need for much more detail. What areas are you planning on hitting? There are a number of us that may have some recommendations for you.

phydeux

by phydeux » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:25 am

You can order them online from the USGS if you want the old-style 7.5 minute maps. About $8/each, somewhat weather resistant (ink and paper), but not totally waterproof. The USGS site also allows you to print your own if you want to. I tried one at work on a specialty printer; it worked quite well, but the ink used in office printers isn't weather resistant and will 'run' if it gets wet.

Return to General