Blood donations and altitude

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.
norco17

Blood donations and altitude

by norco17 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:27 pm

So I was just curious who here has made the mistake of going up too high after donating some blood. I donated for the first time on Friday morning and like an idiot ignored the warning of no strenuous activity for 24 hours. I hiked from about 6500' to 8000' on Saturday morning. I was planning on spending 2 nights there. Thankfully my girlfriend recognized the signs of altitude sickness and made me walk my sorry ass back down the hill on Sunday morning. Best valentines day ever.

Anyway, I think the lack of blood made at least a 3000' difference in my bodies perceived altitude. It made me kind of curious what other peoples experience has been. Has anybody else done this? How long after donating did you feel like you were back to 100%.

no avatar
hikermor

Re: Blood donations and altitude

by hikermor » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:39 pm

I have been climbing and donating blood for years (actually decades). I tend to take it easy after donating and plan my more strenuous efforts before I donate, rather than after. Ipay attention to my blood hemoglobin levels and make sure i stay hydrated after donation. Basically after a week or so, iseem to be fine.

Congratulations on donating-it is a very easy way to help others and you are to be commended...

Return to Mountain Medicine & Rescue