Ptarmigan Traverse Transportation

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
underasail

Ptarmigan Traverse Transportation

by underasail » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:34 pm

I am looking to plan a trip through the Ptarmigan Traverse in June or July of next year. I will be going with two other people, and all of us will be 19. This presents a problem in that we won't really have the money to rent a car for that long with the added fees for renting under 25 (and we certainly don't want to rent two). Can anyone provide some advice as to how to get to and from the PT from the Seattle airport? I know hitchhiking has been an option for some, but I would prefer a greater knowledge of when we would be traveling. Thank you.

ExcitableBoy

Re: Ptarmigan Traverse Transportation

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:31 pm

That's a pickle, because you actually need two cars, one to leave at the exit point and one at the start. Hitchhiking from SeaTac to the mountains is very unlikely. Try making a trip with some locals perhaps? Maybe at cascadeclimbers.com.

underasail

by underasail » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:32 am

I'll certainly post something over there and see if anything pops up. I'm also open to other ideas if there are alternatives out there.

nickmech

by nickmech » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:02 am

Easy. Take Sound Transit from Sea-Tac to Everett. Skagit County Transit goes all the way to Marblemount. Hitch 23 miles to Cascade Pass trailhead and start the Ptarmigan Traverse. Or, just walk the 23 miles and add that to the traverse! Nobody is gonna pick up 3 people at one time, no room unless their driving a pick-up in which case they'll just blast past you. Getting back will be harder. Hitch back to Marblemount or Darrington and get back on public transportation to Sea-Tac. You'll have camping gear so waiting days for someone in Washington to pick you up will be helpful. Or... Forget the plane.Save your money for beer. One of you guys just borrow your Mom's car and drive all the way nonstop. Perfect road trip. Bring one bike and drop the bike off at Downey Creek, when you get done, one of you ride back and get the car! Watch the weather on the way out and if it's crappy just stop at Grand Teton National Park and do some climbing for a couple days then head west to Washington.

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)