RAB Stretch Neo Jacket Review and comparable products

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
sneakyracer

RAB Stretch Neo Jacket Review and comparable products

by sneakyracer » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi, in my quest for the perfect mountain shell for everything except summer ( for that season I have a MH paclite shell with vents and pitzips which is perfect ) I have looked at many many options.

This past year my choice was the First Ascent Frontpoint. Yes, its a combination of softshell and hardshell but it proved to be waterproof and somewhat breathable. Even the hardshell parts are somewhat soft and not too noisy at all, not stretchy but feel nice. The drop collar and hood are perfect. The only downside is that when spring skiing some condensation built up inside the front. It didnt have pitzips but didnt need them or want them (snow/spindrift gets in). The jacket also isnt too heavy but feels durable enough. The fit is nice, not too baggy, not too tight. (Large Long, Im 6-2 180)

I wanted a shell with a brighter color and a bit more stretch, though about just getting a softshell but the definition of the softshell isnt somewhat clear out there and there are a LOT of products callled softshells that really are VERY different.

Examples,

Arcteryx Stingray (GoreTex Softshell): AWESOME jacket, The goretex softshell is really a hardhsell. It doesnt stretch but the lining is a darker silver/gray and feels softer than the typical goretex shell. Also the Arcteryx uses a nice face outer fabric that is soft and quiet but tough. The jacket is totally windproof and waterproof. Its pretty light too but feels durable.

Arcteryx Gamma MX: This is really more of a hardface fleece type of weather resistant shell. Its thick and heavy compared to the Stingray but very stretchy and breathable.

Marmot Alpinist jacket:
Amazing jacket. This jacket surprised me. There are a LOT of gore-tex pro shell 3L jackets out there but this one had quite a bit of stretch in the fabric! If you look at the specs, it has 6% elastene in the fabric. Feels awesome. This would be my choice money no object ($550!).

Enter the new Neo Shell fabric jackets (more affordable, waterproof and breathable with some softness and stretch)

Marmot Zion (Neo Shell): This is similar to the GoreTex softshell jackets but has a bit of stretch and its lined with a thin fleece type material.

Rab Stretch Neo:

Just got it in. Its more of a hardhshell than the Zion. Has a nice outer fabric that seems very durable and the interior is not lined at all like the Zion. It has the typical silver textured fabric of most goretex shells but with a bit of softness and overall the jacket has a bit of stretch, not much but its there. Id say a tad less than the Zion but similar to the Alpinist.  Its a close call. The Rab has an awesome fit. Similar to the FA Frontpoint. I put on a Capilene 3 base and a Powerstretch jacket under and it felt great. It is not a super pliable jacket but not as stiff as an Alpha SV.

The Hood is also helmet compatible and the high collar covers ones chin no prob (has thin fleece lining in that area). The jacket has a nice piece of fabric with velcro to cinch down the hood when folded.

The sleeves are much longer than needed but that is great since it helps preventing the jacket from riding up whenever one raises the hands.

The zippers are perfect and the 2 front chest pockets are huge and work well with a pack. (there are no hand pockets). All zippers are super high quality. Overall its a great jacket for the price.

This jacket is basically a shell good enough for all mountain use even in and around rock in the highest of places.

I will test breathability soon but it seems waterproof in casual bathroom testing.

Will post photos soon.

The following user would like to thank sneakyracer for this post
JB99

Dane1

Re: RAB Stretch Neo Jacket Review and comparable products

by Dane1 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:51 pm

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:01 am

I forgot to mention that the Arcteryx Gamma MX I had access to was the new one with the Fortius 2.0 fabric. Its more of a weather resistant outer layer but its thick (compared to a shell) like a thin powerstretch fleece on the interior but with a tough stretchy outer fabric. Its air permeable, I put my arm close to the a/c in my car and I could feel some chill coming through (I felt none with windstopper and other shells with membranes). So, its very breathable and so it can be used as a midlayer.

Dane, I love OR products, IMHO their warranty is second to none (I have their Superplume down parka (unreal) and the new stormbound ski jacket (awesome too!)). I didnt see the jacket you mentioned on their website, any idea when its coming out?

Dane1

by Dane1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:32 am

Spring.

Pallando

by Pallando » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:21 pm

I've never used a Rab piece with arms that are too long. They always seem way too short in the sleeves, so I'm forced to size up. Great to hear they fit you better!

Deb

by Deb » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:46 am

Pallando wrote:I've never used a Rab piece with arms that are too long. They always seem way too short in the sleeves, so I'm forced to size up. Great to hear they fit you better!

What is your "ape" index? Mine is zero, and I enjoy that the Rab sleeves are longer, keeps my wrists from being exposed or precip dripping onto my underlayers. I've been wearing Rab consistently while BC skiing the past 2 years and love the shit out of it!

Dane1

by Dane1 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:47 am

The Stretch-Neo I have has really long arms for the size as well.

A little unusual but workable. Good to seal up th gloves unless you use gauntlets which I do generally climbing. Going to be nice skiing though being able to seal up the shorter gloves with little effort.

I wouldn't want to take it on a mixed route or rock climbing though. The rest, I'd agree is spot on.

Return to Gear