Re-purposing old soft shell pants.

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
ExcitableBoy

Re-purposing old soft shell pants.

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:04 pm

On my blog:

http://themountain-life.blogspot.com/20 ... pants.html

Note that you can certainly use other types of fabric, but stretch woven softshells seem to have the best attributes for alpine knickers.

nartreb

Re: Re-purposing old soft shell pants.

by nartreb » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:08 pm

I don't get it. The only reason I wear softshells is that they shed snow. So what good is half a softshell? Why not make your shorts/knickers out of something even more breathable (and with real pockets, and cheaper)?

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:46 pm

What don't you get? Are knickers beyond your sphere of comprehension or are you puzzled over the choide of using old soft shell pants? While I realize you have not been climbing long enough to remember knickers, I 'm not going to go on about their advantages.

Regarding the fabric choice, you are correct, knickers can be made out of any old pants. BITD, cordouroy were popular for rock climbing and wool were popular for alpine climbing and skiing. What do you mean by 'real pockets'? My knickers have a zippered back pocket and two slash pockets. Pretty standard for pants.

nartreb

by nartreb » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:16 pm

I thought my post was clear enough.

What good is half a softshell?

You said
stretch woven softshells seem to have the best attributes for alpine knickers
so you must have had some reasons.

I 'm not going to go on about their advantages.

That's exactly what I was hoping you'd do. You're proposing an innovation (OK, a return to older ways), I'd expect you to give reasons why your way is better than current consensus.

I don't really see the attraction of knickers in general (if you're looking for a compromise between pants and shorts, how about zip-off pants?) but it's not like I care. Shorts, pants, something in between, wear what makes you comfortable. But I'm genuinely befuddled that you'd choose a softshell for this.

Re pockets: I like to keep certain essential gear *on my person* rather than in a pack. You can drop a pack in a river or down a cliff by accident, but it's hard to drop your pants by accident (I have done it, but that's another story). Map, compass, pocket knife, car keys, lighter... these things need to be in zipped or velcroed pockets*, and it's best if the compass and map are kept separate from the rest (otherwise you can spill the other stuff as you're constantly pulling out the map and compass). Back pockets aren't comfortable for most items (make it impossible to sit down) and aren't useful for anything you need often (ever tried to reach into one of those with a heavy pack on)? Lack of good pockets has got to be my pet peeve for outdoor gear; I didn't intend to direct any ire at you.

*edit: except the compass. That's on a lanyard girth-hitched to a belt loop, so it can go in an unzipped pocket [or it can around my neck under my shirt instead, on really nasty bushwhacks where the bushes might catch the half-inch of lanyard between the pocket and the loop].

Mountainjeff

by Mountainjeff » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:12 pm

Nice idea! I have never owned a pair of knickers, but they seem like a good alternative to zip off pants which never seem to be very comfortable zipped off (and with my long legs tend to be a bit short...). They could be much more comfortable during the variable temps of a PNW summer day.
If you wanted to learn a little sewing you could even make the alterations yourself (saving $30) and add the pockets suggested by nartreb.

Return to Gear