Tyndall/Williamson Day hike record

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
jeffjeffjeff_o

Tyndall/Williamson Day hike record

by jeffjeffjeff_o » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:20 pm

From looking around, the fastest time via shepherds pass trail is 15 hours car-to-car. That was 15 years ago though, and I'm sure the record has been broken since. Does anyone know if someone has done it in a faster time? Also, would it be faster to summit Tyndall and then hit Williamson, or vice versa?

seano

Re: Tyndall/Williamson Day hike record

by seano » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:15 am

I'm not aware of any record. I don't think the order makes any difference, though I would do Williamson first since it's much more arduous.

The following user would like to thank seano for this post
jeffjeffjeff_o

bobpickering

by bobpickering » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:13 am

My best time is 18:39. No record, but not bad for being 60 at the time. I would do Williamson first, as Sean said. Sean, this sounds like a record you should go for.

seano

by seano » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:23 pm

I'm not over-eager to do Shepherd Pass again. I did it last summer getting back from Williamson's NE ridge, and the horizontal switchbacks nearly drove me crazy. Maybe some day...

fedak

by fedak » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:06 pm

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

The following user would like to thank fedak for this post
jeffjeffjeff_o

no avatar

by 195 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:57 pm

In September 2014 me and a couple friends were hiking up the shepherds pass trail. At around Anvil camp we got passed by two guys literally running up the trail in running shoes with Camelbacks. An hour or so later as we're setting up camp at the pass I heard a very distant yelling, I looked up towards Tyndall and I could see one of the dudes at the top of Tyndall with his hands up. Apparantly he was going "wooo!" for making it to the top. Then he disappeared behind the summit and I never saw either of them after that, but I'm confident at the pace they were going they would have broke 15 hours if they did Williamson as well. My guesstimate is that he was at around 4-5 hours from the trailhead to the top of Tyndall.

Before they passed us we thought we had a good pace. Kind of demoralizing lol.

Return to California