Red Slate ice/snow?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
alexisld

Red Slate ice/snow?

by alexisld » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:30 pm

Anyone know if there is ice/snow in the north couloir on Red Slate? I want to ski it at some point, so I though a recon trip with ice tool would make for a fun weekend while waiting for powder! :-)

Thanks!

Alexis

rhyang

Re: Red Slate ice/snow?

by rhyang » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:25 am

Bump .. anyone know if the couloir is melted out this year ?
Taaaake !

The following user would like to thank KathyW for this post
rhyang

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:03 pm

Woo woo ! Looks in and looks icy :D Thanks Kathy !
Taaaake !

rhyang

by rhyang » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:16 pm

Climbed this one yesterday. Headed up solo, but met a couple of climbers from socal (John and Sean) who were there at the same time, so we took turns breaking trail :) This was helpful because there was ~6 inches of snow in the couloir from the last storm.

Still, there was some neve & ice exposed so it wasn't entirely a slog :)

The couloir jogs left about 3/4 of the way up, which was perhaps the highlight of the climb. There were three separate sub-chutes to the summit, though I imagine you could also climb some crappy snow-covered rock. The chutes were probably partially melted out before the last storm, and even with snow there was some fun easy mixed climbing.

The last sub-chute topped out literally yards from the summit, which was nice. Full set here.
Taaaake !

dskoon

by dskoon » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:38 pm

Nice work, Rob, very nice!

rhyang

by rhyang » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:01 pm

Thanks Vittles :mrgreen:

I was checking out Laurel Mtn's NE Gully on Friday, and it looked like a bit of snow near the top, perhaps above 10500' -- there should be some 12mpix shots on my flickr set. I'd probably save it for next summer if I were you .. that funky volcanic stuff is not fun when wet, but it is a hilariously fun route.

Red Slate couloir is kind of in the other direction, and the approach is pretty long with ice gear, not to mention being a long route by itself. The crossing of Convict Creek is kind of tricky too -- probably best in late season (I've heard it can be almost impassable in the springtime).
Taaaake !

Return to California