runner thread

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
Charles

by Charles » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:33 am

PeterN wrote:
charles wrote:Went for a run yesterday of just over an hour. Felt good, went well!
Today went for another and strained my right hamstring...damn damn damn!! :evil:

I hope your nippels are ok though !

nipples are fine thanks! But if it´s not one thing it´s another.... :D

SWH

by SWH » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:24 am

Ahh... I know the injured feeling. (Although, thankfully, not the nipples yet.) My knee has been bugging out after I fell hard on it hiking. I think it's getting better - I just take some Motrin and run anyways. I ran 8 miles yesterday and 5 today without meds, and it didnt hurt. Here's hoping it doesnt tweak out again before my race on Sunday...

Holsti97

by Holsti97 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:10 am

My son ran 888 miles between the State Cross Country Meet last Fall and the start of Track season this Spring. It paid off last weekend. He was State Champion D3 in the 3200 meters 9:38:88, 4th in the 1600 meters 4:27:10, and member of the 4th place team in the 4 x 800m relay. He will be running cross country and track at the UW Stevens Point next Fall. I sure wish I had his conditioning for mountain climbing.
Signed,
Proud Father

Charles

by Charles » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:10 am

Holsti97 wrote:My son ran 888 miles between the State Cross Country Meet last Fall and the start of Track season this Spring. It paid off last weekend. He was State Champion D3 in the 3200 meters 9:38:88, 4th in the 1600 meters 4:27:10, and member of the 4th place team in the 4 x 800m relay. He will be running cross country and track at the UW Stevens Point next Fall. I sure wish I had his conditioning for mountain climbing.
Signed,
Proud Father

well proud father, I can understand that!! Got on him! :D :D

Carbo

by Carbo » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:18 pm

That is one fast kid you got there.

I ran the Rock and Roll marathon this past Sunday after recovering from a cold. I was only my second marathon, the first was 6 years ago. Man my legs were toast for two days afterwards. No need to run for a few days or more.

I think way back in this thread I asked about a babyjogger, well I got one and I took my daughter on most of my long weekend runs to train for this marathon. As long as you can find flat trails it isn't too bad, hills however is another deal :shock:

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:53 pm

speaking of injuries...I fell Monday on Mount Whymper and deeply bruised my glut, basically landing with all of my weight on my ass on a small protruding rock. It was an Aaron Ralston moment as a huge block gave way in front of me and since I was solo, I reacted aggressively to assure I was not pinned. For a moment I thought I fractured my tailbone, but I have done that before and it was not that serious. That being said, it is not going away anytime soon. I tried to run yesterday to no avail. I have a huge knot into my glut. I have a race Saturday and can just imagine the consequences of this injury on my time. I have had bad t-bands and hamstrings, still do, but this glut is a much bigger player as it affects the motion of my running.

Gareth

by Gareth » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:12 am

Now that it is warming up, it's time for me to start getting my rear in shape again...and to get rid of the extra energy that I've stored up over the winter.

Cold air+respiratory exertion=breathing problems for me :?

Chris

by Chris » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:31 am

Gareth wrote:...and to get rid of the extra energy that I've stored up over the winter.

Don't know about you... but man my body is way too efficient in it's "energy storage" capabilities :-)

Gareth

by Gareth » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:39 am

Chris wrote:
Gareth wrote:...and to get rid of the extra energy that I've stored up over the winter.

Don't know about you... but man my body is way too efficient in it's "energy storage" capabilities :-)

Yes, and I'm also a bit too efficient about bringing energy into my system in the first place. :wink:

Gareth

by Gareth » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:45 am

Adventurer wrote:Gareth & Solonomad,

After reading your posts, I feel very fortunate to be able to run outside all year around. Do you run inside on either a treadmill or in a fitness center during the winter?

I did some indoor running on a treadmill, but not enough. One night I went out and managed to run over a mile by breathing through a neoprene facemask with a fleece scarf wrapped around it a couple of times. I waited until dark as I knew that I had to look really ridiculous. :lol:

Yes, in the future I'm going to have to go the fitness center route. Either that or use an inhaler...I haven't tried this yet as I can't afford to waste the one I have.

Charles

by Charles » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:47 am

I´m back into it again now that the rib´s behaving itself more. I really missed it for the weeks when I couldn´t, but non the less it´s still a slog at first.

no avatar
BSinc

by BSinc » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:11 pm

Ah a running thread, cool. Running is great training for hiking/climbing and vise-versa. I coach our high schools cross-country team and we do trail runs quite often. Even though I'm an "old guy" I still run with the team.

Charles

by Charles » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:27 pm

BSinc wrote:Ah a running thread, cool. Running is great training for hiking/climbing and vise-versa. I coach our high schools cross-country team and we do trail runs quite often. Even though I'm an "old guy" I still run with the team.

Old? your still a chicken! :D

Cross country is wonderful. I have a few routes that I regulary do, all year, it´s fantastic living the seasons on them.

Foxy Long Bottoms

by Foxy Long Bottoms » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:57 pm

I'm a trail runner. I'm averaging about 4-5 days per week, 4-8 miles per outting. This makes me extremely happy because I never in my wildest dreams thought I could be a runner due to a lifetime of AWFUL health. It's taken a lot of self motivation to be able to work through the pain but it's worth it. Yesterday I ran 6 miles during lunch and would have kept going if I had more time. I especially enjoy the days when it doesn't hurt. I'm going to run the 13 mile race from Georgetown to Idaho Springs this year. It should be interesting. I almost never run with people.

CharlesD

by CharlesD » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:03 pm

I just signed up for the Pikes Peak Ascent and Marathon this morning. Apparently there are a lot of fellow crazies out there as both events filled up in under 15 minutes! And we pay good money for this!

PreviousNext

Return to Technique and Training