runner thread

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:44 pm

I concur with Chuck...I am giving up most racing for good this year....to many issues that are not helped with speed work, training runs, etc.....it is the best calorie burn there is, but at a cost to back, feet and knees...it is very difficult running a slower pace though.....makes you feel like you are not really exercising, but that is more of a mental thing than reality....I would much rather be climbing anyway and would hate to sacrifice my climbing future for running....took a hard headed dr to convince me to give up the obsessive aspect of it....once you let go, you are free as a bird, just not as fast as one!

no avatar
BSinc

by BSinc » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:06 am

I concur with Chuck and Dow, I gave up racing about 5 years ago and knock on wood haven't been injured since. I'm still running 6 days a week just not like an obsessed nut.

I get asked all the time by people why I don't race anymore. I went through that phase, now I'm proud to be just "a runner".

btw, awesome run today, nothing like an early spring day in New England

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:46 am

fowweezer wrote:Dow....I didn't know you were a runner. I used to run relatively competitively, putting in between 80 and 115 miles per week. I ended up quitting the team I ran for about 3 years ago now, and quit running competitively at all about 2 years ago. I still miss it frequently though, and I'd like to start again. I'm not sure I ever will, but I do miss it.

Thus, I disagree with Dow. I'm not sure I'll ever be free (as a bird) of the disappointment from losing what I was once good at.

you get old enough, you learn to live without and ratonalize it...no one hits it harder than I do, but there comes a time for moderation or you can kiss your 50's good bye....I ran 30 races one year, that is not sane nor healthy...good luck

Charles

by Charles » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:50 am

solonomad wrote:I just got back from a 4-mile run, speed intervals and hills, with about 8-10mph constant wind speed for some resistence... had a good time. PLUS, it was one of the most beautiful sunsets I've seen this year so far, that alone nearly took my breath away.

Sounds good! That´s what it´s about isn´t!

schmid_th

by schmid_th » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:08 am

I don´t like running very much - but I do it to get fit for the mountains.
I make a mixture of running and cycling (cycling makes more fun), but when you run you use the same muscles like hiking/climbing.

A friend who climbed about 40 4.000 m peaks in the Alps, about 20 5.000 m peaks and I think 12 6.000 m peaks prepared himself for this trips by running 2x10 km and 1x 20 km per week and regularly some climbs in the Alps.

I run either 4x 8-10 km per week or 2x 8km and 1x 10-15 km. I also climb once a week. My track is with 200 Hm, that´s a good preparation for the mountains.
Better running up some hills than a flat run.

Charles

by Charles » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:29 am

schmid_th wrote:I don´t like running very much - but I do it to get fit for the mountains.
I make a mixture of running and cycling (cycling makes more fun), but when you run you use the same muscles like hiking/climbing.

A friend who climbed about 40 4.000 m peaks in the Alps, about 20 5.000 m peaks and I think 12 6.000 m peaks prepared himself for this trips by running 2x10 km and 1x 20 km per week and regularly some climbs in the Alps.

I run either 4x 8-10 km per week or 2x 8km and 1x 10-15 km. I also climb once a week. My track is with 200 Hm, that´s a good preparation for the mountains.
Better running up some hills than a flat run.

For someone who doesn´t like running, that not bad! :D

peninsula

by peninsula » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:08 pm

Dow Williams wrote: but there comes a time for moderation or you can kiss your 50's good bye....I ran 30 races one year, that is not sane nor healthy...good luck

I raced a road bike back several years ago. And it got to the point of insanity and poor health. While training for competition on a chronic basis, one can very easily over-train. And it can be subtle, but your peak performance when competing begins to drop (not to mention your overall health). And the line between competitive shape and over-trained can be a very fine line.

I now run, but only for condition, no longer do I compete (I can't help but push so hard when competing that I will hurt myself). I apply many of the principles in running that I applied when cycling. As we get older, an increasingly important aspect to conditioning is getting adequate rest. I will run no more than four days a week or two days in a row. And I prefer to keep weekly running to three days with one mountain bike ride or road bike ride thrown in (I also enjoy yard work and cleaning the horse corral on a weekly basis).

Intervals are very good for the body, but I don't take all that much pleasure with intervals. I have a metronomic pace, and depending how I feel, I will change my pace accordingly as well as the length of my run (6 to 10 miles). Instead of intervals, I'm one of the few that likes running in the hills. Running hills sort of mimics intervals.

The other important aspect about running are the shoes. Proper fit and replacement intervals are the key. Don't wait until the shoes feel worn out... by that time you have already suffered the consequences that will add up over the course of your life.

johngenx

by johngenx » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:01 pm

I trail run 60-70km per week as part of training for other outdoor activities, but have come to enjoy it as an activity on its own.

IagosGhost

by IagosGhost » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:58 pm

I am running now to train for my mountaineering course this summer. I never thought I would say this, but I have really enjoyed it. It doesn't hurt as much as I remember. I'm really slow right now but my times improve every week. I can see why some find running so addictive!

peninsula

by peninsula » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:55 pm

solonomad wrote:I've been hearing different things over the past several months about stretching before you run. I grew up being told that one must stretch out their muscles before hitting the pavement or trail, and then again afterwards. Yet, as of late, I've been hearing that stretching "cold" muscles is incredibly bad for them and could result in greater injury. Is this true?

I've done, and still do, both - stretching before a run and not stretching before a run. Obviously I don't want to risk greater injury, but for some reason I'm skeptical about it. Anyone with greater knowledge in this out there?

Seems to be controversial at best, the benefits of stretching. Some studies show no benefit, others do. I never have stretched, not when younger while competing and not now.

no avatar
BSinc

by BSinc » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:57 pm

I had some rather heated discussions with another coach about when to stretch. What I have my team do instead of stretching prior to running is to just go out very easy for the first mile or so. In my opinion this allows the muscles time to warm up without putting too much stress on them. Also right after their run I don't have them stretch either as I feel the muscles are too stressed at that point. I have them go home, shower up, and later on go through the stretching program I taught them.

Does it work? I think so because I've had very few injuries for muscle related reasons in the 11 prior seasons I've been coaching. I know it goes against what many books tell you but until I begin to see a problem then I'll keep doing what seems to work.

Charles

by Charles » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:10 pm

Yes stretching before seems not to help. I try to take it easy for a bit ´till I´ve warmed up.

Good run today, even knocked a bit of my time for the course. Warm, but not too warm, sun, birds singing... :)

Charles

by Charles » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:40 pm

solonomad wrote:
charles wrote:Warm, but not too warm, sun, birds singing... :)

Sounds like something out of "The Sound of Music", charles! :lol:

Funny you should write that, here is Julie doing some pre race stretching! :D

CharlesD

by CharlesD » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:46 pm

solonomad wrote:Thanks for the advice, and opinions, on stretching. Last night I didn't stretch before I ran, but I did afterward. For some reason, I just don't feel a difference between stretching or not stretching.

I don't stretch as much as I should before runs, if at all. But I notice the difference if I have been stretching regularly or not. Coming off a long winter, I'm in terribly flexibility shape and my ITBs and hip flexors are telling me that. Flexibility issues seem to be my biggest limiting factor these days. Gotta get back into the morning stretches and the weekly yoga sessions.

Carbo

by Carbo » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:49 pm

Did speedwork yesterday, I ran 1/2 mile to the track to wam up, did a little stretching before doing the laps. Stretched again when I finished as I find it helps me recover with less pain. But man it was too hot at lunch time here I started overheating on the recovery laps (of course it is cooler today).

PreviousNext

Return to Technique and Training