Salewa Widlfire vs FiveTen Guide Tennies

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
HRS Nomad

Re: Salewa Widlfire vs FiveTen Guide Tennies

by HRS Nomad » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:53 am

Back again. I still haven't decided- too much time enjoying winter. I am have changed my qualifications to just being able to handle the slides, slabs and gullies, but eliminated the need for approaches. I want to have support, however, when hauling a pack and to save my legs for the return, so I am looking at an approach shoe that is great at smearing slab. The Guide Tennis have come back into my preference, as they will not be facing as much mileage on hike/climbs, and for the price and performance it is a little hard to argue with. Does anyone have a recommendation for a great smearing approach shoes? The Ganda looked good but is more than I'd like to spend. Guide Tennis range from $45 to $135 which hits what I'd like to be my price ceiling.

aglane

by aglane » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:14 am

Worth a look at the Alpinist review of the Wildfires
http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web15w/ms-c ... nuary-15-2

Bob Sihler's comment about the Guide Tennies standing up to the OP's ADK plans are to the point, though I'm an enthusiast and find them just fine with transitioning from hiking onto rock routes.

The following user would like to thank aglane for this post
HRS Nomad

HRS Nomad

by HRS Nomad » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:00 pm

aglane wrote:Worth a look at the Alpinist review of the Wildfires
http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web15w/ms-c ... nuary-15-2

Bob Sihler's comment about the Guide Tennies standing up to the OP's ADK plans are to the point, though I'm an enthusiast and find them just fine with transitioning from hiking onto rock routes.

Thanks! Very helpful review.

Previous

Return to Gear