San Bernardino Mountains 22-23 September

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
norco17

by norco17 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:48 am

Soldmax wrote:How can the Whitney/Williamson acsent look

You probably would have issues trying to get permits for whittney.

Deb

by Deb » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:26 am

Soldmax wrote:It"s more or less clear with San Gorgonio for me - thanks for info on trailheads and roads.
I am in a hotel at the shore till Tuesday and my Wednesday is free, then flying back Thursday. So basicaly I will be moving anyway - either to San Bernardino or Bear Lake area or (as I understood very southern Sierra is just the same as Bernardino mountains) I can drive up to Lone Pine - I guess, stay there and try to do something in Whitney area.
How can the Whitney/Williamson acsent look - at least how much time to count on. Can it be done without harness and in medium hard treking boots?
Any links to guided/unguided Whitney/Williamson asccent resourses would be highly welcomed.
And again, thanks in advance.

You can just walk up either of these in approach shoes, or even tennis shoes right now but permits are the real trick. Since you're in SoCal, just hit up San G then do a nice long hike from Humber Park in Idyllwild to tag San Jacinto. Views are beautiful once you get to the 9K' line in San Jac mtns.
For something more "thrilling" and quick, shoot up to Independence to do University via North Face. I'm old and slow and I did the thing in 9 hrs! Actually drove more than I climbed. :shock:

Soldmax

San Gorgonio was great

by Soldmax » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:05 pm

I enjoyed this hike. Haven't seen southern mountains before - vegetation looked so unusual. Climbed from Forest Falls - Vivian creek. Started at 12 30, got on top at 530, started descent at 6 pm got to the parking lot at around 9 pm... half way in the dark... with the aid of a fellow climber whom I met at the summit who had a head torch - as I had none...
Thanks to everyone who helped.

simonov

by simonov » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:15 pm

Another SoCal n00b climbs Mt San Gorgonio and narrowly avoids the pitfalls of Sierra Snobbery.

Welcome to the Dark Side, friend.

Guyzo

Re: San Gorgonio was great

by Guyzo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:12 pm

Soldmax wrote:I enjoyed this hike. Haven't seen southern mountains before - vegetation looked so unusual. Climbed from Forest Falls - Vivian creek. Started at 12 30, got on top at 530, started descent at 6 pm got to the parking lot at around 9 pm... half way in the dark... with the aid of a fellow climber whom I met at the summit who had a head torch - as I had none...
Thanks to everyone who helped.

TR?
What next?

MCGusto

by MCGusto » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:27 pm

Just realized you already went on your trip! Glad you had fun!

Gusto

fatdad

by fatdad » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:16 pm

redneck wrote:Another SoCal n00b climbs Mt San Gorgonio and narrowly avoids the pitfalls of Sierra Snobbery.

Welcome to the Dark Side, friend.

Admittedly, San Gorgonio is really fun but nothing in So Cal. (or anywhere else for that matter) is like the Sierra. Plus, if you're driving from LA's westside, San Gorgonio is a good 2-2.5 hours, whereas the Sierra is only an extra hour. Given that, I'd pretty much hit the Sierra 9 out of 10 times.

simonov

by simonov » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:53 pm

Uh huh.

Driving directions from Santa Monica, CA, to Lone Pine, CA
212 mi – about 3 hours 50 mins (up to 4 hours 50 mins in traffic)

Driving directions from Santa Monica, CA, to Three Rivers, CA
217 mi – about 3 hours 33 mins (up to 4 hours 40 mins in traffic)

Driving directions from Santa Monica, CA, to Angelus Oaks, CA
98.7 mi – about 1 hour 45 mins (up to 3 hours 50 mins in traffic)

http://maps.google.com/

As long as there are so many people who can't accurately estimate the passage of time, San Gorgonio will remain a relatively pristine wilderness, and not overrun by hikers and backpackers, as some backcountry destinations are. Shame about that carbon footprint, tho.

fatdad

by fatdad » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:15 am

redneck wrote:Uh huh.

Driving directions from Santa Monica, CA, to Lone Pine, CA
212 mi – about 3 hours 50 mins (up to 4 hours 50 mins in traffic)

Driving directions from Santa Monica, CA, to Three Rivers, CA
217 mi – about 3 hours 33 mins (up to 4 hours 40 mins in traffic)

Driving directions from Santa Monica, CA, to Angelus Oaks, CA
98.7 mi – about 1 hour 45 mins (up to 3 hours 50 mins in traffic)

http://maps.google.com/

As long as there are so many people who can't accurately estimate the passage of time, San Gorgonio will remain a relatively pristine wilderness, and not overrun by hikers and backpackers, as some backcountry destinations are. Shame about that carbon footprint, tho.

Hey Reckneck,

No disagreement about San Gorgonio's charms. Preaching to the choir there. But let's be honest about road conditions when we talk about travel time. Rarely do you travel the length of the 10 without encountering some significant traffic, that's why Google reports a possible 2+ hours estimated traffic time from Santa Monica to Angelus Oaks. Also, once you get north of Palmdale, you can pretty much open up that throttle on ways you can't on the 10. That's why I discussed driving time, not distance.

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:28 pm

Both areas are great in their own way. Vivian Creek Trailhead is about 20 minutes from my house, so pretty convenient.

For me, Spring through early fall in the Sierra and then Fall through Spring in the mountains south of the Sierra are lots of fun. The mountains of Southern California are a wonderful winter playground. Let's hope for a nice snowy winter.

simonov

by simonov » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:20 pm

fatdad wrote:Also, once you get north of Palmdale, you can pretty much open up that throttle on ways you can't on the 10. That's why I discussed driving time, not distance.

Wot about the CHP?

fatdad

by fatdad » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:20 pm

redneck wrote:
fatdad wrote:Also, once you get north of Palmdale, you can pretty much open up that throttle on ways you can't on the 10. That's why I discussed driving time, not distance.

Wot about the CHP?

They like to hang out around Little Lake, so I slow down around there. Plus, I'm not much of a lead foot compared to other drivers, so they seem to garner most of the attention.

Ze

by Ze » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:27 am

the 10 ain't bad, and definitely clear if you're leaving in the morning for a dayhike.

from downtown LA to Vivian Creek, ~ 1h20min
to Whitney Portal, 2 hrs more

Previous

Return to California