Scarpa Maestrale RS---Blister Issues

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
absinthe52

Scarpa Maestrale RS---Blister Issues

by absinthe52 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:30 am

I have a pair and cannot stop developing blisters on either side of both feet, just below the ankle bone. No doubt due to the 4 large buckle attachment/hinges. Has anyone else had this problem? My only current fix is to wear Compede every time I go out. I'm thinking of possibly filling in the uneven area with an epoxy or something similar. Just trying to see if anyone else is in the same boat.

Thanks!
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (369.75 KiB) Viewed 6545 times

Dave B

Re: Scarpa Maestrale RS---Blister Issues

by Dave B » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:43 pm

I ski the same boot but blister free. The pair I bought came with a sheet of adhesive plastic circles to put over all of the buckle attachment points on the inside of the shell. Scarpas reasoning for this is to prevent liner wear, but I imagine they could probably prevent blisters as well.

I don't think epoxy would be the best idea because it would make repairing/replacing buckles difficult, and Maestrales apparently have some buckle longevity issues. Contact Scarpa perhaps to see if you can get a couple of the plastic sheets, otherwise... duct tape!

Alternatively, are you having heel lift issues? It seems that Maestrales have a pretty wide heel volume. I get a little lift when touring/booting, but not bad enough to create hot spots - but I also wear poly liner socks when out for longer peaks/tours.

absinthe52

by absinthe52 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:32 pm

I've used the adhesive circles to no avail…Duct tape as well, but the blisters keep a coming. The boots fit fine otherwise…not sure what to do…maybe some caulking or puddy? Maybe I'll just stick to the good 'ol Compede…sucks to have to use that every time I put them on though…Thanks for the suggestions!

no avatar
keith.angstman

by keith.angstman » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:42 am

If you don't mind a little extra ramp angle, try a small heal lifter under the back of the insole; or if your toes have enough room on top just a thicker insole. It should, theoretically, push the back half of your foot up high enough that your heal will have less room to lift, creating less friction. I've got a pair of RS's as well, and I keep them really loose when I'm skinning and haven't had any problems since the first day or two getting used to them even though like Dave B my heels lift a bit as well. I would think your liner would be thick enough to protect you from the screw plates even if they weren't seated correctly in the inset portion of the shell, but if they've worn your liners down enough that the friction is coming through from the shell rather than from your heel's movement in the liner, then obviously you need to smooth those parts out. Epoxy probably isn't the best idea, but try urethane. It's softer and can be removed somewhat easier, but it'll still provide a smooth surface over the plates once you sand it out.

absinthe52

by absinthe52 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:10 am

Thanks, I'll check out Urethane…maybe the heel lift too. It really does not make any sense as my liners are not worn through and my socks are plenty thick. I'll chock it up to my cursed thin skinned ankles :-(

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:01 am

When I know there is a sensitive spot, or if feel a sensitive spot developing in time, i.e. well before getting a blister, I tape it up. It always stops blistering. Since the adhesive power of tape far exceeds that of compeed, it stays where it is even after prolonged heavy exercise. Once I put sports tape on an area, it usually stays there until my next shower - which can take a few days in the mountains. Oh, and tape is much cheaper than compeed too.

Return to Gear