sierra local wants to climb shasta

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
yaknjorgl

sierra local wants to climb shasta

by yaknjorgl » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:58 am

hey-
so Im looking for a good solo up moderate snow/ice- nothing too epic, but fun this Spring- being a desert rat, my snow gymnastics and judgment are skewed from perf' conditions.
So its out there. i looking for recent photos - route recommendations - and a few sandbag routes to gimme a workout -
Im not opposed to a partner, but its just shasta right -
prove me wrong -

Mike

Tom Fralich

by Tom Fralich » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:26 am

Casaval Ridge is scenic and long, and totally safe as a solo. Probably the route of choice for spring. The technical difficulties are exaggerated, in my opinion...seemed like 40 degrees or less the whole way. It's no harder than one of the walk-ups on Rainier, without the crevasses. Basically a PD- on the European scale, if you're familiar with it. The descent down Avalanche Gulch is fast.

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:06 pm

You might also check out West Face Gully. May through June is usually good, though I've also done it in April. Steepest parts at the beginning, and near the end. Access from Bunny Flat TH, camp in Hidden Valley. I've seen folks skiing it.

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:40 pm

"But its just Shasta right ?"

I have heard that before! Its just Hood, or Rainier etc.. Shasta is a great mountain to cut your teeth on. But, it can and has bitten back. Scott

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:09 pm

ScottyP wrote:I have heard that before! Its just Hood, or Rainier etc.. Shasta is a great mountain to cut your teeth on. But, it can and has bitten back. Scott

Most definitely. Falling without proper self arrest could have very serious consequences. A guy in a friend's party died when he was there and someone was airlifted out when I was there.

Return to California