Sleeping bag liner

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Hotoven

Sleeping bag liner

by Hotoven » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:47 pm

I'm going on a winter backpacking trip, and last year I was really cold. It was around 10 degrees and I had a 20 degree bag. I'm using a brand new 20 degree bag this year, and new sleeping pad. I just want to be a little warmer. What liner is best for keeping you warm? I have never used or bought one. I was looking at the Sea To Summit liners, and didn't understand that the silk ones were more expensive, but wouldn't seem to keep me as warm as maybe the fleece. Any thoughts or Ideas?

I like to think I'm pretty tough, and have slept in some really cold nights with just a 20 degree bag, so I'm even willing to go without one again. I would just like to look into the liners and see if there is a noticeable difference.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:55 pm

What else is in your bag? Are you sleeping with your puffy on or in the bag with you? Is it a bag that lets you move down from the top to bottom? How much extra room does it have?

In general, liners are a cost-effective way to increase sleeping bag warmth. They are not weight or bulk efficient. I size the bag a little bigger than optimal, giving me room to put any extra clothes in there with me.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:02 pm

I have extra room inside, I usually wear layers to bed anyway in the winter. No use in sleeping nude when nature calls at 10 degrees at night.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3656735

That look really small to me. I was just wonder if it really does keep you warmer. I mean, obviously, it will keep you warmer to a degree, but how much...

icypeak

by icypeak » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:11 pm

I have one of the silk liners and have found that, for me, it makes a huge difference in keeping warm, so I would highly recommend them...worth the investment.

iHartMK

by iHartMK » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:52 am

icypeak wrote:I have one of the silk liners and have found that, for me, it makes a huge difference in keeping warm, so I would highly recommend them...worth the investment.

+1

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:02 pm

Alrighty, thanks for all your help, I'll get one today!

Return to Gear