SP CA gathering?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
nefarius

by nefarius » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:54 am

It is 35 minutes from my door to parking at Tollhouse... If this is on Thanksgiving, I wont be there either. I'll be in either JTree or Indian Creek, or both, over an 11 day period. 8)

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:06 am

nefarius wrote:Tollhouse is in the middle... I could go for that! :wink:

Same comment as J-Tree...

IMO, it should be peak that can be done with just hiking skills (and maybe some familiarity with ice axe/crampons ...

Otherwise, we would have to call it SP rock climbing gathering...

lisae

by lisae » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:32 am

Luciano136 wrote:[

IMO, it should be peak that can be done with just hiking skills (and maybe some familiarity with ice axe/crampons ...

Otherwise, we would have to call it SP rock climbing gathering...

And that is a bad thing??

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:56 am

lisae wrote:And that is a bad thing??

Not at all! I just thought it would be good to stick to a level that most members are familiar/comfortable with. Not everyone has ropes, harnesses, etc. Most folks (hopefully LOL) do have a pair of hiking shoes...

rhyang

by rhyang » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:02 am

In 2004-2005 I went on a few trips with a bunch of SP folks and met some great people.

The first one was in November (we had fantastic early snow that year, unlike last year) - we went to Carson Pass and attempted Round Top (south Tahoe area) - more of an ice axe / crampons / scramble / ski / snowshoe type of thing. Met Misha, Diggler, keema, Dragger, mountainvoodoo, and mrolph. No summit, but man was that fun.

The second one was in December and we did some early season ice climbing in LVC with Diggler, mmehranp and some other folks. Met a really good ice climbing buddy that way.

The third one was in February 05 - went to Tollhouse with Misha, kiwifzzz and Matthew Holliman. Learned how to slab climb and got up some cool stuff later on with Matthew.

Why stop with one outing ?

--
Oh, and lest I forget - October 05 in Yosemite Valley with HJMC, Dragger, mrolph, etc. Good times !

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it control your destiny :twisted: :lol:

Misha

by Misha » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:12 am

I vote for JT over Thanksgiving. I will most certainly be there!

keema

by keema » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:34 am

rhyang wrote:In 2004-2005 I went on a few trips with a bunch of SP folks and met some great people.

The first one was in November (we had fantastic early snow that year, unlike last year) - we went to Carson Pass and attempted Round Top (south Tahoe area) - more of an ice axe / crampons / scramble / ski / snowshoe type of thing. Met Misha, Diggler, keema, Dragger, mountainvoodoo, and mrolph. No summit, but man was that fun.

The second one was in December and we did some early season ice climbing in LVC with Diggler, mmehranp and some other folks. Met a really good ice climbing buddy that way.

The third one was in February 05 - went to Tollhouse with Misha, kiwifzzz and Matthew Holliman. Learned how to slab climb and got up some cool stuff later on with Matthew.

Why stop with one outing ?

--
Oh, and lest I forget - October 05 in Yosemite Valley with HJMC, Dragger, mrolph, etc. Good times !

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it control your destiny :twisted: :lol:
That was a cool (in more ways than one :D) outing to Round Top Rob. Turkey day is out but I would enjoy a get together.

uwjennie

by uwjennie » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:44 am

Misha wrote:I vote for JT over Thanksgiving. I will most certainly be there!

Yep - JT it is. We'll be at Indian Cove in one of the group sites...I think site 11.

Others should stop by and say hello if you can! Not much room for extra camping though, I think we are close to our limit of 20. We'll see as the date get's closer. It will be a great party worthy of DOA standards.

:)
Jennie

Dragger

by Dragger » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:45 am

keema wrote:
rhyang wrote:The first one was in November (we had fantastic early snow that year, unlike last year) - we went to Carson Pass and attempted Round Top (south Tahoe area) - more of an ice axe / crampons / scramble / ski / snowshoe type of thing. Met Misha, Diggler, keema, Dragger, mountainvoodoo, and mrolph. No summit, but man was that fun.

You can say that again! When was that?? November 2004?? First time I met all you guys except for Misha. What a hoot! (Now Dan, don't go spilling the beans about my collosal wipeout coming down Roundtop on a pair of skis! :D )

It's been three years, eh? Time to do it again!!!

Steve Larson

by Steve Larson » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:01 am

HandjamMasterC wrote:Ya, Thanksgiving in JT this year for us - my first time back there in about 22 years.

If your looking for a snow gathering, how about an ice climbing weekend in late Jan. at Lee Vining / June Lake?

JT at Thanksgiving, LVC in January, and some snow slog whenever, wherever...whatever.

uwjennie

by uwjennie » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:38 pm

Steve Larson wrote:
HandjamMasterC wrote:Ya, Thanksgiving in JT this year for us - my first time back there in about 22 years.

If your looking for a snow gathering, how about an ice climbing weekend in late Jan. at Lee Vining / June Lake?

JT at Thanksgiving, LVC in January, and some snow slog whenever, wherever...whatever.

Hey Steve - we haven't met but I hope you stop by to say hello. There should be a bunch of SP folks hanging out with us.

:)
Jennie

MichaelJ

by MichaelJ » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:40 pm

Luciano136 wrote:
Well, I was thinking, it should probably be appropriate for most skill levels. J-Tree would be more of a rock climbing thing...

Plenty of things to climb in J-Tree that don't require any skill.

cp0915

by cp0915 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:45 pm

MichaelJ wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:
Well, I was thinking, it should probably be appropriate for most skill levels. J-Tree would be more of a rock climbing thing...

Plenty of things to climb in J-Tree that don't require any skill.

Absolutely. There are numerous peaks to hike and scramble around there, too.

Cy Kaicener

SP CA Gathering

by Cy Kaicener » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:49 pm

Cactus to Clouds on one day and Joshua Tree the next day or the other way around. :)
Last edited by Cy Kaicener on Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nefarius

by nefarius » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:53 pm

I think you're fighting a losing battle trying to get the group that is gathering in JTree to go somewhere without climbing. And since JTree has been in the works for a while... I'm just sayin'....

PreviousNext

Return to California