Spantiks - Anyone Has Home Baked the Inner Liners?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
welle

Spantiks - Anyone Has Home Baked the Inner Liners?

by welle » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:48 pm

I was wondering if anyone has an experience thermo-molding the Sportiva liners at home? I wore the boots for the first time this weekend out of the box and while they fit awesome in the shop, I was not happy with the fit on the trails. I'm thinking the liners need to be baked. I would take it to the shop, but there are none with experience here in NYC. I have baked my snowboard inner liners at home before, just need to know if there are any particulars need to be considered with Spantiks. TIA!

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:01 pm

I took mine to be fitted by an outstanding shop here in CA. The fitter said he has done over 2 dozen Spantiks and has not once baked the liners! After some work on the custom footbeds they fit like a charm! I am not sure I would take a $600 boot and bake the liners in my oven, just my .02 ! Scott

welle

by welle » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:32 pm

The manufacturer's description says the liners are thermo-formable. I called L.S. to confirm this and they said yes - they can be baked up to 3 times.

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:03 pm

I did not say they could not. I was simply saying that my fitter has never seen the need to do it and second, I am not sure I would do it in my home oven. Scott

welle

by welle » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:19 pm

ScottyP wrote:I did not say they could not. I was simply saying that my fitter has never seen the need to do it and second, I am not sure I would do it in my home oven. Scott

Scotty, I didn't say you did. I live in NYC. Here is my conversation at a pretty big national outdoor retailer when I went to look at Spantiks couple months ago:

Me: Can I try on Spantiks?
Salesperson (SP): What?
Me: Spantiks - they are on top shelf.
SP: For YOU?????
Me: Yes
SP: Do you know what you are doing?
SP: Where are going?
Me: Denali
SP: Where is that?

Ugh! That's the biggest climbing gear retailer here in the city. Needless to say I didn't buy my boots there. Even if they had a heat-molding system, I wouldn't take my boots there.

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:01 pm

Ugh is right! I guess I got lucky. I bought mine on EBAY and after a bit of tweaking with the insoles got a great fit. Too bad you have such slim pickins' for climbing gear.

mtngrl

by mtngrl » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:15 am

Ha! I can guess where you bought them. Have you tried a cobbler? I think there are some in the area that resole climbing shoes - they might be able to help you out Or contacted Rock and Snow in New Paltz. They might be able to help and I am pretty sure they carry the boots.

8kclimber

by 8kclimber » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:04 pm

From experience, While LS will tell you they are heat moldable they really are not like a true heat moldable liner like a ski boot or a Inst. If you do you will find that they DO NOT permanently mold to either your foot or the shell as you would think (or like). The liners simply break down a little. The way to look at it is that you will simply speed up the break-in process. If you want addition info call AMH Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking or Whitaker's as they both do them.

welle

by welle » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:26 pm

8kclimber wrote:From experience, While LS will tell you they are heat moldable they really are not like a true heat moldable liner like a ski boot or a Inst. If you do you will find that they DO NOT permanently mold to either your foot or the shell as you would think (or like). The liners simply break down a little. The way to look at it is that you will simply speed up the break-in process. If you want addition info call AMH Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking or Whitaker's as they both do them.

That's the answer I was looking for - thanks, 8Kclimber!

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:00 pm

welle wrote: I live in NYC. Here is my conversation at a pretty big national outdoor retailer when I went to look at Spantiks couple months ago:

Me: Can I try on Spantiks?
Salesperson (SP): What?
Me: Spantiks - they are on top shelf.
SP: For YOU?????
SP: Do you know what you are doing?
SP: Where are going?
Me: Denali
SP: Where is that?

Ugh! That's the biggest climbing gear retailer here in the city. Needless to say I didn't buy my boots there. Even if they had a heat-molding system, I wouldn't take my boots there.

That exchange is at once hilarious and pathetic. I tried on 3 sizes of Spantiks a few months ago and simply could not get a good fit even though I covered the range of sizes that should fit me.

welle

by welle » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:26 pm

anita wrote:welle: have you tried ice climbing with them? I have Scarpa Cumbres and I'm tired of always being cold, so I'm considering the Spantiks or even Baturas but I don't know if they're much warmer than the Cumbres.

/derail

I just tried them on vertical ice - they rock! I was concerned about the performance, since I sized them up for long snow slogs (roomier), but they performed well. It was down to -20F windchill in Crawford Notch yesterday and my feet were toasty with single socks. My friend was cold in his Nepal EVOs...

climbxclimb

by climbxclimb » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:00 pm

I bet the retailer you are talking about is Tent and Trails in Lower Manhattan....
Rock and Snow in New Paltz does thermo molding as well as The Mountaineer in Keene Valley and other shops in Lake Placid in the Dacks....I suspect that if you are a climber in the North East you will pay a visit to either of this places soon....therefore there you will find the expertise to do the thermo molding and a lot fist hand knowledge based information on the boots...also at the Ice Festival in Keene Valley in January there will be for sure a representative from La Sportiva.

welle

by welle » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:08 pm

climbxclimb wrote:I bet the retailer you are talking about is Tent and Trails in Lower Manhattan....
nope. bigger national chain.

I had a chance to get them done at the IME up in N. Conway this weekend, but went with 8Kclimber's advice and decided to forego thermo-molding. I've gotten quite used to hiking in these.

highlandvillager

by highlandvillager » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:46 pm

In case anyone is considering buying a pair, I just noticed them on sale for $450 at REI.

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:46 pm

Welle, I think you will really like them! I did a 4-6 miles approach dragging a sled and even though the approach was relatively flat the boots did very well! I think they will be a great boot for me on Denali this year. Scott

Next

Return to Gear