SR203 to Minaret Summit?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
bobpickering

SR203 to Minaret Summit?

by bobpickering » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:48 pm

Does anybody know whether you can drive to Minaret Summit yet? Cal Trans says the road is closed for the winter. The Devil’s Postpile recording (760-934-2289) says it is plowed but closed due to storm damage, apparently west of Minaret Summit. The Mammoth Ranger District (760-924-5500) has been too busy to answer their phone for three days. It seems reasonable that they would open the road to Minaret Summit, but I need to confirm that. Does anybody know for sure? Thanks!

Scott M.

Re: SR203 to Minaret Summit?

by Scott M. » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:16 pm

I think you can get to Minaret Summit or at the very least I am sure you can get to the ski area parking which isn't that far from the summit. This press release from Inyo National Forest today (7/2): "The Inyo National Forest is currently permitting pedestrians and bicycles to use the Reds Meadow Road. The road remains closed to cars and other vehicles except administrative traffic."

bobpickering

by bobpickering » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:32 pm

I’ve been calling the Mammoth Lakes Welcome Center for five days, and they still won’t answer their phone. I know that I can drive to the ski area. Does anybody know whether I can drive to Minaret Summit? Is the parking area plowed? Thanks!

Scott M.

by Scott M. » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:29 pm

FWIW, Caltrans still lists 203 as closed from Mammoth Mountain Inn to the Mono-Madera county line (Minaret Summit). Normally I would trust what I read on their site.

bobpickering

by bobpickering » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:34 am

Scott: First, you said, “I think you can get to Minaret Summit.” Then you said I should trust the Caltrans site that said it is closed for the winter. You also said it was open to pedestrians and bicycles. Add to this that Devil’s Postpile says the road is plowed but closed, and I am quite confused.

My original question was, and still is: “Does anybody know whether you can drive to Minaret Summit yet? Does anybody know for sure?” Thanks to anybody who knows the answer.

Scott M.

by Scott M. » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:18 am

Actually I wrote that you can 'get" to Minaret Summit. I will drop out of adding anything. After all, it is only about a mile from the ski area to the summit so it doesn't add that much to any trip from there, IMO..

bobpickering

by bobpickering » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:56 am

Scott, I asked a simple question: “Can I drive to Minaret Summit?” The answer is either yes, or it is no. If you don’t know the answer, I agree that it’s best that you “drop out of adding anything.” Giving contradictory advice doesn’t help.

I plan to climb San Joaquin Mountain on Thursday. I would like to know whether I have to hike an extra 1.4 miles each way. I would also like to look at that ridge before I leave my car, just in case I decide to fine-tune what gear I’m carrying. I’ll drive down Wednesday afternoon and check it out myself. But if somebody knows where SR203 is closed to cars, I would appreciate knowing. Thanks!

labgloves

by labgloves » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:27 am

Hi Bob -

I hiked San Joaquin Mountain on Sunday July 2nd. The road was closed at the ski resort, so I walked the extra ~2 miles from my parking spot. There is limited snow on the ridge, mostly lower down in the trees near Minaret Summit. No special gear is required. Have fun!

The following user would like to thank labgloves for this post
bobpickering

bobpickering

by bobpickering » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:59 am

labgloves wrote:Hi Bob -

I hiked San Joaquin Mountain on Sunday July 2nd. The road was closed at the ski resort, so I walked the extra ~2 miles from my parking spot. There is limited snow on the ridge, mostly lower down in the trees near Minaret Summit. No special gear is required. Have fun!

Sounds like I can get by with stiff boots and ski poles. Wish I didn’t need to hike those extra miles, but it is what it is. Thank you!

bobpickering

by bobpickering » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:35 am

labgloves, I just got home from San Joaquin and Two Teats. Your information was spot on. Thanks!

The following user would like to thank bobpickering for this post
labgloves

Climber Dave

by Climber Dave » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:28 pm

Probably too late, but we hikedSan Joaquin over the 4th of July weekend, road was closed at Main Lodge, as said previously mostly clear on the route to SJ but snow in the trees down low.

Saw Mammoth Mountain posted on Facebook that it was now open to traffic and the road to Reds Meadow should open tomorrow morning, for shuttle traffic

Return to California