Standard route up Grizzly Peak D?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
JustinShapiro

Standard route up Grizzly Peak D?

by JustinShapiro » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:04 am

Does anyone know the standard route up Grizzly Peak D? I want to climb it this weekend but I am unsure how to approach it. Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

natethor

by natethor » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:59 pm

EDIT:

Oops, wrong peak. Looks like 13ers.com has the wrong info for Grizzly Peak D too then, I looked up "Grizzly Peak D" on there just to make sure we were talking about the same one but apparently we weren't.
Last edited by natethor on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustinShapiro

by JustinShapiro » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:04 pm

Thanks very much but I ment Grizzly Peak D in the Pieplant Quadrange. I should of clarified my self a little bit more, sorry about that.

chicagotransplant

by chicagotransplant » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:29 pm

Actually I think the Grizzly in the Pieplant Quad is Grizzly E, as it is the 5th tallest of the "Grizzly Peaks" in Colorado. (Grizzly D is the one by Loveland Pass)

I guess the route I descended could be considered the "standard route", but I am not sure how easy it would be to find from the Timberline Trail. I did the route after coming over to Grizzly via traverse with Jenkins and PT 13140. The lower part in the trees had a lot of bushwhacking to get back to the trail.

Basically, hike the Timberline Trail southeast from the Pieplant townsite for about 2 miles or so and then bushwhack up to you left until you reach treeline then ascend the large class 2 talus face above. It would be the south/southwest face of Grizzly. The face was steep, but it wasn't too difficult, just steep class 2 talus.

An alternate would be to bushwhack along the creek between PT 13140 and Grizzly and climb up to the saddle between Grizzly and 13140 and ascend Grizzly via the NE ridge.

John Kirk

by John Kirk » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:27 pm

This is a good example of why people should drop the letter suffix when referring to peaks. Referring to the quadrangle is a bit more helpful. This Grizzly isn't really popular enough to have a "standard" route. I did it as part of a six ranked peak traverse up its NE ridge (class 2):

http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/ascent ... 2007-07-04

JustinShapiro

by JustinShapiro » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:49 am

Ok guys thanks alot for the help.

It is Grizzy Peak E, I miscounted. Sorry about that natethor, it looks like you had the right peak after all. Very sorry about that.
When I did Jenkins I was figuring out how I could traverse over to Grizzly Peak so yea, I was just curious if there is a more popular route :D

Thanks again

Return to Colorado