Suggestions for a destination

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
User Avatar
MRoyer4

 
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:38 am
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

by MRoyer4 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:27 pm

Hotoven wrote:What about the Canadian Rockies? I don't know much about them, but I would think they might fit the bill. I could be wrong, I have never been there.


That was another first choice, but I saw that conditions are generally better August/Sept. Any local with a better idea?

User Avatar
JackCarr

 
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:35 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

by JackCarr » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:12 pm

You can go to the Alps without spending Euros. Switerland is amazing. Though to be honest if you want easy access to plenty of D's/TD's, then Cham is your place.

User Avatar
Buckaroo

 
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:49 pm
Thanked: 9 times in 7 posts

by Buckaroo » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:21 pm

The Sierras as mentioned. Yosemite is a little hot in June unless you find the shady routes. It's cooler and less crowded in spring or fall. The Pacific NW is usually wet in June.

The Matterhorn by the Liongrat or Zmuttgrat, but the Matterhorn page doesn't give a best time to climb.

Zmuttgrat between shade and sun, Liongratt right skyline
Image

User Avatar
MichaelJ

 
Posts: 980
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 10:19 pm
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

by MichaelJ » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:06 am

The Sierra is great for rock climbing (get on the Hulk) but the ice routes aren't worth traveling for and there aren't any mixed routes worth the name.

For ice and mixed you want to be in Canada much earlier in the season or much later.

You're also kind of late for mixed and ice in the Alps as well. Ditto the Ruth.

What about the Kahiltna? There's the Cassin or the Moonflower on Hunter, both of which were in good shape in early June this year, not so much by the end of the month. Lot's of other objectives around the glacier as well if you don't mind crowds.

Check out the Taco:

http://www.supertopo.com/packs/alaska.html

no avatar
Wastral

 
Posts: 329
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:02 pm
Thanked: 25 times in 21 posts

by Wastral » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:37 am

The Cascades in June can be either stunningly beautiful or simply ok. The middle of July is the optimum month though.

Brian

If you have the time I would go north into BC somewhere.

MichaelJ wrote:The Sierra is great for rock climbing (get on the Hulk) but the ice routes aren't worth traveling for and there aren't any mixed routes worth the name.

For ice and mixed you want to be in Canada much earlier in the season or much later.

You're also kind of late for mixed and ice in the Alps as well. Ditto the Ruth.

What about the Kahiltna? There's the Cassin or the Moonflower on Hunter, both of which were in good shape in early June this year, not so much by the end of the month. Lot's of other objectives around the glacier as well if you don't mind crowds.

Check out the Taco:

http://www.supertopo.com/packs/alaska.html

User Avatar
JackCarr

 
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:35 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

by JackCarr » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:53 pm

Buckaroo wrote:The Sierras as mentioned. Yosemite is a little hot in June unless you find the shady routes. It's cooler and less crowded in spring or fall. The Pacific NW is usually wet in June.

The Matterhorn by the Liongrat or Zmuttgrat, but the Matterhorn page doesn't give a best time to climb.

Zmuttgrat between shade and sun, Liongratt right skyline
Image


I wouldn't go all the way to Switzerland to do one route, especially one thats rarely in condition.

User Avatar
MRoyer4

 
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:38 am
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

by MRoyer4 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:29 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. Lots of good ideas out there, many that I've considered but some that I haven't. I've got some more reading/research to dig into, but I guess it's something to do since the weather is absolute crap in the northeast right now.

User Avatar
Sierra Ledge Rat

 
Posts: 1197
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:14 am
Thanked: 280 times in 182 posts

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:00 am

We have these stores in West Virginia!

Image

User Avatar
Buckaroo

 
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:49 pm
Thanked: 9 times in 7 posts

by Buckaroo » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:18 pm

JackCarr wrote:I wouldn't go all the way to Switzerland to do one route, especially one thats rarely in condition.


Yeah the Liongrat should be the primary route. And a plan B and C.

What's the best time to do the Liongrat?

Previous

Return to General

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests