Thoughts on Brian Head Ski Resort

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
Blair

Thoughts on Brian Head Ski Resort

by Blair » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:36 am

May have the opportunity to go skiing up there, so I was curious on what the SP folks that have been there have to say about it. Its 437 miles away from me here in SoCal, so just trying to get some input on if its worth the drive and all.

Also, ideas on where I can do some commando (read-dirtbag) camping around the area, as I will not be able to afford some cushy chalet.

Thanks in advance

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:47 am

Not worth a destination ski outing, not in my opinion. Beautiful and unique area, yes. If you only ski blues, I am not sure if it makes a difference if you just want to come over and see something new. But if you prefer steep and challenging runs, you will be hugely disappointed.

Ed F

by Ed F » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:54 pm

If you're driving all the way from southern Cal, just drive the extra couple of hours to the Wasatch resorts. Brian Head is a fine local ski hill, but it wouldn't be worth a destination ski trip. Honestly, if you can wait, you should put off your trip until we get some snow. It's been about a week since our last major snow event, and there's nothing in the forecast for at least seven days. All the resorts are skied-over, icy, and most ungroomed runs have moguls.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:21 pm

sisyphus wrote:If you're driving all the way from southern Cal, just drive the extra couple of hours to the Wasatch resorts. Brian Head is a fine local ski hill, but it wouldn't be worth a destination ski trip. Honestly, if you can wait, you should put off your trip until we get some snow. It's been about a week since our last major snow event, and there's nothing in the forecast for at least seven days. All the resorts are skied-over, icy, and most ungroomed runs have moguls.

We have had a ton here. My partner went in to englestead canyon on Fri (east side of Zion). We went back Mon to climb some ice with over a foot of new powder on his old snowshoe tracks (rained all day sat down here). Rained again last night. I know this much, the desert bloom season is going to be out of control folks. Been great these past few years....remember Death Valley having that 100yr bloom or whatever, Red Rocks was incredible last year, but this is the most moisture we have seen in southern Utah since we been around.

Ed F

by Ed F » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:04 pm

Dow Williams wrote:
sisyphus wrote:If you're driving all the way from southern Cal, just drive the extra couple of hours to the Wasatch resorts. Brian Head is a fine local ski hill, but it wouldn't be worth a destination ski trip. Honestly, if you can wait, you should put off your trip until we get some snow. It's been about a week since our last major snow event, and there's nothing in the forecast for at least seven days. All the resorts are skied-over, icy, and most ungroomed runs have moguls.

We have had a ton here. My partner went in to englestead canyon on Fri (east side of Zion). We went back Mon to climb some ice with over a foot of new powder on his old snowshoe tracks (rained all day sat down here). Rained again last night. I know this much, the desert bloom season is going to be out of control folks. Been great these past few years....remember Death Valley having that 100yr bloom or whatever, Red Rocks was incredible last year, but this is the most moisture we have seen in southern Utah since we been around.

Yeah, it's been a weird winter. It seems like the snow is falling everywhere except the Wasatch this year -- southern Utah, DC, the Northeast. Agree on the desert bloom this year -- should be amazing. Did you see the Powderwhore footage of their trip down south to ski? Some really amazing footage. I tried to ski into Cedar Breaks two years ago, but I was there too late and the rim had melted out.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:57 pm

Good piece. Yeah, getting harder and harder for me to justify recon missions back north (Canada) in the winter.....forcing myself to explore a little more here in my back yard in the winter.

Blair

by Blair » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Thanks for your input guys, let me fill you in on the situation...

A big factor in going to Brian Head is that I can ski free there, and get my friends half off the lift ticket. Thats why I am asking about Brian Head. Yes It is a long drive, but it looks like its 100 miles further than Mammoth. Not really bad...

As far as conditions out there are concerned, I was going to wait until March sometime to go, when theres more snow.

How bout the rambo camping options in Brian Head?

So with these pros and cons, now how does it weigh out?

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:25 am

He has a point, they could harass you up there, even if you slept in your car, not a huge place. The Mormons run a tight ship here all around. They can get pissy about prostitution, drugs and liquor. I let the ho's go, but having a hard time kicking the other two.

Return to Utah