Tushars, Big John Flats, road condition

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
MoapaPk

Tushars, Big John Flats, road condition

by MoapaPk » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:12 am

I had the delight of hiking from the 1st Meadow of Big John Flats, over Belknap, Baldy, down to the Blue Lake Cr, and back on July 16/2011.

For 123, the "Beaver" or "Marysville" road: The gate is closed at the 1st Meadow (~9950'). The road is so well-graded that one could drive a passenger car up past the gate for a mile... until one hits the 1st significant snow banks. The main problem is that the road is wet, and the road is quite eroded in places above 10700'. In one section, there is a 6'-deep gouge diagonally across the road, which must be repaired before one can drive to the traditional starting point for Belknap.

Typical snow coverage:

Gash in road:
http://hwstock.org/tushars11/html/IMG_4695.htm

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
TyeDyeTwins

TyeDyeTwins

Re: Tushars, Big John Flats, road condition

by TyeDyeTwins » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:16 pm

Thanks for the report on the Tushars...Troy and I both have been doing our research on Baldy for a winter backcountry ski attempt. I hear the best option is to start from Big John Flat and camp at Blue Lake. When we went there we skied Lake Peak and Mount Holly, starting from Puffer Lake. We are going to hike Baldy in the summer first, so thanks for the updated info on the area. Can't wait to ski Baldy's massive East Face, from what I hear it is the BEST backcountry skiing line in the state of Utah. Happy Trails and see you out there.

Return to Utah