Walking the Welsh Moelwyns

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Big Benn

by Big Benn » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:14 pm

BrunoM wrote:
Bryan Benn wrote:In Wales you don't use the term "worse" to describe the weather.

It cannot get worse. It's always dreadful! :wink:

But the good news is that the insects hate it, so they only come for a few weeks mid year. :D

So the weather is the same as in North-West Scotland but there's fewer midges?

"It's piss awful weather here here, let's go back to Scotland as at least they have some decent whisky there" is what the midges say in North Wales!

I had to walk 200 yards to my car when I left on Tuesday. I was wearing a decent waterproof coat and walked very fast. It took about 2 hours for me to dry out in the car with heater and air conditioning on as I drove home. That's why you don't get Welsh whisky. The only thing you can add to whisky is more whisky, (IMHO). In Wales you'd get whisky and water whether you wanted it or not! :shock:

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:17 am

Watch out, Bryan's gone native!

He'll have forgotten about the mountains and be going after these next :wink:

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:20 am

sjarelkwint wrote:Bryan, you really do like it in the welsh country don't you :shock:

Yes. It's a fabulous place to visit and walk the mountains in!

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:39 am

sjarelkwint wrote:Still looking for a nice winter destination ...
I'll consider the welsh mountains ...

Last winter was ideal for me. It was severe by Welsh standards which meant I could enjoy ice and snow conditions for several months on end! But that was only higher up which limited the mountains to walk up. A milder winter could make it hard to get true winter mountain conditions: Nanuls can probably comment better on that.

And Dan, re going native. I'm told I have to learn Welsh before being allowed to buy Velcro gloves. :cry:

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:45 am

sjarelkwint wrote:Still looking for a nice winter destination ...
I'll consider the welsh mountains ...

As Bryan says, stable winter conditions are becoming increasingly rare, so I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it as a winter venue. Last winter however, was a exceptionally good – I have my fingers crossed for the coming one. It depends what you want to do though, are you looking to do some ice or mixed climbing, or walking and scrambling?

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:21 am

In that case, Wales may well have something for you since, but again it’s a question of reliability – the snow line can change from day to day, but if you’re walking and scrambling at least you don’t have to worry too much about the quality of the snow and ice. February to March generally have the best conditions.

Sorry can’t watch your video, youtube is blocked at work.

Just to give you a quick taste of what’s potentially on offer though:

Cadair Idris

Tryfan

Crib Goch (Snowdon)

I recommend this page for more info (but then again I would):

Snowdonia

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:44 pm

Thanks, it's also a great area for rock climbing and bouldering. So if the snow's a bit thin on the ground, there's always that.

Cheers
Dan

isostatic

Re: Walking the Welsh Moelwyns

by isostatic » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:47 am

Bryan Benn wrote:For anyone in the area looking for that view. Go to the hamlet of Croesor, the starting poiint for the classic route up Cnicht. At the crossroads take the narrow lane signposed Tan-y Bwlch.

Tan-y-Blwch Railway station, Festiniog Railway

"isostatic"
FR Rly Society lifetime member since 1966

Big Benn

Re: Walking the Welsh Moelwyns

by Big Benn » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:45 pm

isostatic wrote:
Bryan Benn wrote:For anyone in the area looking for that view. Go to the hamlet of Croesor, the starting poiint for the classic route up Cnicht. At the crossroads take the narrow lane signposed Tan-y Bwlch.

Tan-y-Blwch Railway station, Festiniog Railway

"isostatic"
FR Rly Society lifetime member since 1966

That is a very long time to have been a member of the FR! It is a superb railway. I really must get over to it during a rest day on one of my Snowdonian trips. And of course from the top of the SE corner of the Moelwyns you look down on the railway. As I did last weekend.

Previous

Return to Europe