Walking the Welsh Moelwyns

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Big Benn

Walking the Welsh Moelwyns

by Big Benn » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:36 pm

Just back from four days in Snowdonia, Wales.

Walked in the Moelwyns. A small range of hills and mountains to the East of the ever popular Snowdon.

Apart from Cnicht, the "Welsh Matterhorn", I had those days mostly to myself. And even on Cnicht I had the steep summit rock pyramid and summit to myself because severe gale force winds saw others turn back: one benefit of being a "Fat Ass" is that it takes one very large gale to blow me off my feet! :D

Don't really understand why the Moelwyns are always so quiet. Yes. There are many remains from the days of the slate quarries. You can only think of the hardships the miners in days gone by had to endure getting up to and staying at their their place of work.

And descending Moelwyn Bach on Monday I encountered what I believe is the most beautiful vista I have seen anywhere. Back on the gated farm road, but still quite high up I had a foreground of Welsh slate walls, little farms and trees. With the tremendous and sun lit backdrop of the entire heart of Snowdonia. From Cnicht round past the Snowdon Horsehoe, Yr Garn, (one of many!), the Nantle ridge and on round to Moel Hebog.

I took a couple of photos but could not do justice to that view.

As I descended that lane I stopped two mountain cyclists slowly gaining height. "Please stop at the top of the climb, about a hundred yards short of that small wood. Then look back behind you. It's just wonderful". Had to make sure they didn't miss it.

That walk had been very hard indeed. My mystery bug struck as I started out, (I'm seeing my doctor about it again at present), but I don't let it beat me. The route up Moelwyn Bach was the easiest mountain track I've ever used. But the drop down from the summit to a narrow pass was very steep on slaty scree with a damp surface. I was at my limit, the bug having taken all my strength and some of my judgement. I admit to sliding some of it on my ass! Stupidly I tried to scramble the crag opposite the small pass, but sanity returned as I faltered on a difficult section that would see me at my limit even when I am fully fit. So I sat and had a snack. Then summoned all remaining energy to climb back up to the summit of Moelwyn Bach on that slippery scree track. Hard work but I then had that lovely and every so easy downhill wander with stupendous views. Rather than the boggy track from the small pass I had climbed back up from.

For anyone in the area looking for that view. Go to the hamlet of Croesor, the starting poiint for the classic route up Cnicht. At the crossroads take the narrow lane signposed Tan-y Bwlch. Very soon you have to open, (and close behind you!), two gates across the road. The lane climbs steeply, and approaches a small wood. About a 100 yards before the wood, just stop and turn around to face the way you have come. But please only go there when there is a low afternoon sun and no mist around.

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Glad to hear you had a good time Bryan, sound like a great day out. I love the Moelwyns too, they're truly great little mountains, and in my opinion, made all the better by the fact so few people visit them. You'll have to post those photos you took – a picture is worth a thousand words after all!

Cheers
Dan

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:04 pm

Nanuls wrote:Glad to hear you had a good time Bryan, sound like a great day out. I love the Moelwyns too, they're truly great little mountains, and in my opinion, made all the better by the fact so few people visit them. You'll have to post those photos you took – a picture is worth a thousand words after all!

Cheers
Dan

All four days were good Dan. And yes, I'll sort out the photos and post them. AND work on some TR's as well.

Hope to be back there early in November. Such a wonderful walking area.

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:45 pm

Sounds like a solid trip Bry. Glad you could make it to the mountains (I'm stuck in the flats :( ). What's up next? Munros?

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:18 pm

woodsxc wrote:Sounds like a solid trip Bry. Glad you could make it to the mountains (I'm stuck in the flats :( ). What's up next? Munros?

No. Back to the Moelwyns in a few weeks.

I'm ticking them all off and only have 4 left to do!

If I'd have read my list it would only be three! One has minimal prominence and I didn't know it was actually a summit. I stopped by it on my way down on Sunday. Sat down and leaned against it's rocks while I had a snack. Then got up and walked on down! :oops:

Never mind. It's lovely up there so I'll just have to go back up in November so I can tick it off my list!

Sorry you are stuck in the flats. Your time will come again.

BrunoM

by BrunoM » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:48 pm

Pics?

North-Wales is defenitely on my to do list :)

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:02 pm

BrunoM wrote:Pics?

North-Wales is defenitely on my to do list :)

I really must get my ass in gear and sort out some TRs.

Pester me until I do that, I took loads of photos. Just posted three today on the Cnicht page.

And as far as your "to do list", I've fallen in love with the North Wales mountains. Not big, but something for everyone. From gentle valley strolls, though decent mountain walks and right up to the famous cliffs of Y Lliwedd where Sir Edmund Hillary and his team practised before going on to summit Everest, and, a generation before that, where Mallory learned to climb.

BrunoM

by BrunoM » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:36 pm

Reminds me of the Vieux Chaillol near Gap :)

with worse weather & insects

:D

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:14 pm

In Wales you don't use the term "worse" to describe the weather.

It cannot get worse. It's always dreadful! :wink:

But the good news is that the insects hate it, so they only come for a few weeks mid year. :D

BrunoM

by BrunoM » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:38 pm

Bryan Benn wrote:In Wales you don't use the term "worse" to describe the weather.

But the good news is that the insects hate it, so they only come for a few weeks mid year. :D

So the weather is the same as in North-West Scotland but there's fewer midges?

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:14 pm

BrunoM wrote:
Bryan Benn wrote:In Wales you don't use the term "worse" to describe the weather.

So the weather is the same as in North-West Scotland but there's fewer midges?

"It's piss awful weather here here, let's go back to Scotland as at least they have some decent whisky there" is what the midges say in North Wales!

I had to walk 200 yards to my car when I left on Tuesday. I was wearing a decent waterproof coat and walked very fast. It took about 2 hours for me to dry out in the car with heater and air conditioning on as I drove home. That's why you don't get Welsh whisky. The only thing you can add to whisky is more whisky, (IMHO). In Wales you'd get whisky and water whether you wanted it or not! :shock:

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:17 am

Watch out, Bryan's gone native!

He'll have forgotten about the mountains and be going after these next :wink:

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:20 am

sjarelkwint wrote:Bryan, you really do like it in the welsh country don't you :shock:

Yes. It's a fabulous place to visit and walk the mountains in!

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:39 am

sjarelkwint wrote:Still looking for a nice winter destination ...
I'll consider the welsh mountains ...

Last winter was ideal for me. It was severe by Welsh standards which meant I could enjoy ice and snow conditions for several months on end! But that was only higher up which limited the mountains to walk up. A milder winter could make it hard to get true winter mountain conditions: Nanuls can probably comment better on that.

And Dan, re going native. I'm told I have to learn Welsh before being allowed to buy Velcro gloves. :cry:

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:45 am

sjarelkwint wrote:Still looking for a nice winter destination ...
I'll consider the welsh mountains ...

As Bryan says, stable winter conditions are becoming increasingly rare, so I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it as a winter venue. Last winter however, was a exceptionally good – I have my fingers crossed for the coming one. It depends what you want to do though, are you looking to do some ice or mixed climbing, or walking and scrambling?

Next

Return to Europe