What's New in the Midwest...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
woodsxc

by woodsxc » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:40 pm

I'm trolling for input here.

Does Kettle Moraine (WI) deserve a page?

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:08 pm

In the old days, the SP purists would have flamed you mercilessly for the mere suggestion of posting a page for K.M. However, things have gotten a bit more relaxed these days.

Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion. IMO, if it is not related to climbing somehow/someway, then it doesn't belong on SP. And I don't see that there is any climbing in K.M State Park.

Many of the smaller peaks (or hills) on SP are just class 1 walk-ups and some people question whether or not they belong here. (Many of the state highpoints fall into that category.) My counter argument to that is - if a small peak or summit was named solely because of its geological elevation, then it should have a place here on SP. In addition, even though some of the state highpoints are insignificant by themselves, they are part of a larger climbing goal. As such, they are relevant to some people as a climbing objective.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:19 pm

As is obvious from my contributions, I'm open to anything. In the Midwest, SP is a better hiking resource than any of the other sites I've seen, and I appreciate that.

Having the extra stuff doesn't clutter anything up; it's invisible unless you look for mountains in Indiana or whatever.

And, speaking of unimpressive midwestern summits:
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... ntain.html

dwhike

by dwhike » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:15 pm

Arthur Digbee wrote:And, speaking of unimpressive midwestern summits:
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... ntain.html

Hey, I like that page...looks like a lot of rocks you could twist your ankle on! :lol: Anyway, I'm one to talk...I say post it. As Arthur says SP acts more as a hiking guide for the Midwest or I would have been run off LONG ago! Besides, Wisconsin is close-ish to me so You've sparked my curiosity!

eric-griz

Ely's Peak

by eric-griz » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:12 am

I created a new midwest page for Ely's Peak. It might not be the most spectacular mountain on SP but I think it's worth checking out if you're in Duluth.
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/615295/Ely-s-Peak.html

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Tue May 04, 2010 1:39 am

Nothing new, but there hadn't been a new post in over a week.

HI SPMW! GET WITH IT GUYS!

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Tue May 04, 2010 2:37 am

I'm working on a trip report (very slowly) from a bike trip back in 82. We'll see if I finish/submit it.

Otherwise cranking up my training getting ready for a trip to North Carolina in June.

Chinigo

by Chinigo » Wed May 05, 2010 2:44 am

OK, OK, OK!

I have been working on my North Country Trail routes in Michigan and I have put up some pages. Just search North Country Trail and you'll find them.

Mostly they are informational but there are a few interesting scenery pictures and some surprising locations.

I'll be adding more as I hike some sections again and take pictures (this time).

no avatar
TheStender

by TheStender » Thu May 06, 2010 4:23 pm

Going up near Ely over Memorial weekend, going to try to and drive over and get my first state highpoint in.

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Thu May 06, 2010 4:23 pm

Chinigo wrote:OK, OK, OK!

I have been working on my North Country Trail routes in Michigan and I have put up some pages. Just search North Country Trail and you'll find them.

Mostly they are informational but there are a few interesting scenery pictures and some surprising locations.

I'll be adding more as I hike some sections again and take pictures (this time).

Good stuff! Get some more photos into those pages and it'll be an excellent resource.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu May 06, 2010 5:33 pm

TheStender wrote:Going up near Ely over Memorial weekend, going to try to and drive over and get my first state highpoint in.

Hey, if you're going to climb Eagle Mtn, try to get a good picture of it. Note in the discussion below that there are no photos of Eagle Mtn on SummitPost as of yet. Everyone has incorrectly assumed that the hill they see when they first reach Whale Lake is Eagle Mtn - but it isn't...! Eagle Mtn is located to the left of the hill. It's unfortunately obscured by trees and you'll have to do some bushwhacking to see it. It would be nice if someone posted a photo of it here on SP.

http://www.summitpost.org/object_discussion.php?type=vote_comments&object_id=151003&is_addition=1

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Thu May 06, 2010 5:43 pm

I'm going to put together a page for High Cliff state park this summer. Lots of fun bouldering and top rope routes. Some stuff that's ok to lead but a little on the scary side due to the quality of the rock.

Tonka

by Tonka » Thu May 06, 2010 5:46 pm

TheStender wrote:Going up near Ely over Memorial weekend, going to try to and drive over and get my first state highpoint in.

Are you going to find a place to stay on the North Shore after Ely?

Not sure you would want to drive from Ely, hike Eagle Mountain and than get back to Ely in one day. That would be a lot of driving and by the shortest route almost all dirt forest service roads. You could get lost on those things forever back in there :) I bet your talking 3-4 hours each way and that's conservative.

Chinigo

by Chinigo » Thu May 06, 2010 7:46 pm

For my North Country Trail pages, most of the photos are in the trip reports, attached as children. They may also be in albums attached to the trip reports. It's kind of multilayed but I'm trying to keep it all organized.

no avatar
TheStender

by TheStender » Fri May 07, 2010 11:50 pm

Alpinist wrote:Hey, if you're going to climb Eagle Mtn, try to get a good picture of it. Note in the discussion below that there are no photos of Eagle Mtn on SummitPost as of yet. Everyone has incorrectly assumed that the hill they see when they first reach Whale Lake is Eagle Mtn - but it isn't...! Eagle Mtn is located to the left of the hill. It's unfortunately obscured by trees and you'll have to do some bushwhacking to see it. It would be nice if someone posted a photo of it here on SP.

http://www.summitpost.org/object_discussion.php?type=vote_comments&object_id=151003&is_addition=1

I'll try my best, I read that page before and thought about getting a picture when I go up.

Tonka wrote:
Are you going to find a place to stay on the North Shore after Ely?

Not sure you would want to drive from Ely, hike Eagle Mountain and than get back to Ely in one day. That would be a lot of driving and by the shortest route almost all dirt forest service roads. You could get lost on those things forever back in there :) I bet your talking 3-4 hours each way and that's conservative.

Probably not. We'll see if we have the time to get over there though. If we went, I'd take 1 down to 61 and follow that up the shore. We did that last year and hiked up Carlton peak. That wasn't too bad of a drive for me.

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)