Wheat v. Chaff?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Buz Groshong

Re: Wheat v. Chaff?

by Buz Groshong » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:59 pm

Vitaliy M. wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:
Vitaliy M. wrote:I can live with you thinking I am a 'condescending dick,' it does not bother me. Although, I hope you change your opinion some day.

If you don't want people to think you are a "condescending dick" don't act like one. You posted an assinine condescending comment to one of my photos - why would I not think you are a "condescending dick"?

I do not appreciate your smart ass comments in the forums neither. Which comment of mine are you talking about? Can you link it please.

http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=466167&type=vote_comments&discussion_id=426482#426482

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:02 pm

mvs wrote:Just a devil's advocate question: we often call the Albums "off topic." What is to prevent these people from creating trip reports that are equally "off topic?" Because that might just be the next problem we face...

People determined to use the site as a storage tank for every picture they take outside the front door (and some inside) will always find ways. But I think throwing up some roadblocks will deter some and slow others down.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:05 pm

Could we ban specific members from editing our pages? I don't want Vitaliy M. editing my page. I hear that guy is a dick.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Buz Groshong

mvs

by mvs » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:07 pm

Fletch wrote:One thing I just thought of. I know we would allow people to edit pages in this new system. Can we make it so that only members with a certain (albeit minimal) power ranking can edit? That way we avoid the wiki aspect of a free for all and the possible ambush by someone who adds nothing to the site coming in and screwing around with a page.

Why not? Require membership and 20 power points. People with 20 seem to have a page or two under their belt, and some decent images. This number could be (cautiously) altered at any time by the elves to dial up or down the interactivity.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:12 pm

mvs wrote:
Fletch wrote:One thing I just thought of. I know we would allow people to edit pages in this new system. Can we make it so that only members with a certain (albeit minimal) power ranking can edit? That way we avoid the wiki aspect of a free for all and the possible ambush by someone who adds nothing to the site coming in and screwing around with a page.

Why not? Require membership and 20 power points. People with 20 seem to have a page or two under their belt, and some decent images. This number could be (cautiously) altered at any time by the elves to dial up or down the interactivity.

Tricky call. Definitely require membership. But what if a world-renowned climber joined and wanted to edit a page on a big peak? Should we tell him (or her) to submit a few trip reports first? (Great for the site if the person did, but probably more likely to send the person packing.) But it's a good point. You can imagine some troll coming in and changing a bunch of pages to a stream of obscene crap.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

mvs

by mvs » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:13 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Could we ban specific members from editing our pages? I don't want Vitaliy M. editing my page. I hear that guy is a dick.

Haha! :lol:

Man, Matt'll never do this stuff. Okay, what if there was such a feature, but rather than being at the page level it's at the user level. So on your settings page you can enter some names of people that are banned from making changes to your public page sections. However, if you gave them admin permission on any of your pages, that would supercede this field.

Putting this feature on the level of each page makes things too complicated.

This feature could itself be abused. A jealous page owner might just add anybody who tried to edit a public page section to the list. Enough of that and the feature will be regarded as a joke, much like Apple's support for DRM-free music, but I digress. :p

mvs

by mvs » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:16 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:
mvs wrote:

Tricky call. Definitely require membership. But what if a world-renowned climber joined and wanted to edit a page on a big peak? Should we tell him (or her) to submit a few trip reports first? (Great for the site if the person did, but probably more likely to send the person packing.) But it's a good point. You can imagine some troll coming in and changing a bunch of pages to a stream of obscene crap.

Yes. I think we have to do this though. Because it's a strong "ownership" community, some kind of good citizenship safeguard is absolutely necessary. We will lose the chance for Steve House to drop by and make these kinds of edits (sucks, I know), but it's essential to have some level of protection against trolls. However, Steve House could add a comment, and you'd be a real cretin to keep any relevent info he provides out of the main body.

(edit: spelling)

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:36 pm

Fletch wrote:Either way, it sort of self regulates as long as people maintain their pages and look for comments/additions that appear bogus...

And there we go. Smarter trolls would mess with pages by inactive owners, and maybe obscure ones at that, so that it might be a long time before anybody noticed. I think I have to agree with MVS that there would have to be a contribution threshold, preferably tied to pages, not pictures at all.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:16 pm

Haha...

I hope everyone realized my last post in this thread was a joke. Each of the three sentences of it were actually.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:17 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:
Vitaliy M. wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:
Vitaliy M. wrote:I can live with you thinking I am a 'condescending dick,' it does not bother me. Although, I hope you change your opinion some day.

If you don't want people to think you are a "condescending dick" don't act like one. You posted an assinine condescending comment to one of my photos - why would I not think you are a "condescending dick"?

I do not appreciate your smart ass comments in the forums neither. Which comment of mine are you talking about? Can you link it please.

http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=466167&type=vote_comments&discussion_id=426482#426482

I was obviously being a dick on purpose there.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:24 pm

Vitaliy M. wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:
Vitaliy M. wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:

I was obviously being a dick on purpose there.

Then expect to be treated as one. :roll:

mvs

by mvs » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:35 pm

I made an article that summarizes the feature idea in some detail. I tried to incorporate the initial idea with the changes suggested. To that list I added that the page owner gets an email notification for page changes.

The article, "Collaborative Summitpost" is here:

Thanks for working with me. Whether or not we do anything with it, it is fun to imagine.

The following user would like to thank mvs for this post
Bruno

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Then expect to be treated as one.

I do not expect anything else from you. In fact I entered this thread without saying one word about you or any arguments of the past. Maybe you should piss off and comment on the content of my actual post or should we make this thread into a cirque?

mvs

by mvs » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:57 pm

Vitaliy M. wrote:...or should we make this thread into a cirque?

By all means! Of the Unclimbables, please! :o

The following user would like to thank mvs for this post
Vitaliy M.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:20 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Haha...

I hope everyone realized my last post in this thread was a joke. Each of the three sentences of it were actually.

I got it, and it was the funniest post I've seen all day.

(Marmaduke probably didn't get it. :wink: )

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback