Where to get climbing gear in Vancouver or Santa Cruz?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
cb294

Where to get climbing gear in Vancouver or Santa Cruz?

by cb294 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:35 pm

Hello everyone,

any recommendations for good outdoor / climbing stores in Vancouver, BC or Santa Cruz, CA? I am looking for MH gloves and BD climbing gear which used to be much cheaper in the US and Canada than over here in Germany.

Let´s see whether I can still afford anything by the end of June the way the Euro keeps dropping.....

Thanks,

Christian

OJ Loenneker

by OJ Loenneker » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:59 am

I don't know about Santa Cruz, But just over the hill on Highway 17 is San Jose, and there are several REI's over there as well as a few small climbing shops. Just google "climbing stores San Jose".

As far as Vancouver, there is MEC, which is basically a Canadian version of REI.

Joe White

Re: Where to get climbing gear in Vancouver or Santa Cruz?

by Joe White » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:10 am

cb294 wrote:Hello everyone,

any recommendations for good outdoor / climbing stores in Vancouver, BC or Santa Cruz, CA? I am looking for MH gloves and BD climbing gear which used to be much cheaper in the US and Canada than over here in Germany.

Let´s see whether I can still afford anything by the end of June the way the Euro keeps dropping.....

Thanks,

Christian

Hey Christian. There are a few here in Vancouver for you to check out. Conveniently, they are all on the same block of the same street in Vancouver.

The best stores are all located on Broadway street (google them):
MEC
Valhalla Pure
Taiga
Europe Bound

You can find them all on this street http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 3&t=h&z=18

Good luck!

cb294

Re: Where to get climbing gear in Vancouver or Santa Cruz?

by cb294 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:09 am

Thanks guys!

Christian

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:02 pm

I believe the BD stuff is sold cheaper in Canada but stores like MEC are not allowed to ship BD products to the US.

ARosenthal

by ARosenthal » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:40 pm

I live in Santa Cruz, CA. The only place to buy things in town is at Pacific Edge Climbing Gym (they have a good website with directions, just google it). Otherwise the REI in Marina (~1 hour south, almost to Monterey) or in San Jose is your best bet.

Michele

by Michele » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:51 pm

I second what ARosenthal said. Outside of Pacific Edge, there is no gear to be found in Santa Cruz. Positively maddening for a climber! One other place worth contacting is Bugaboo Mountain Sports in downtown Santa Cruz. They used to carry climbing equipment a long time ago, but that may not be the case anymore. Now come to Boulder, Colorado and you'll be in gear heaven!

ARosenthal

by ARosenthal » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:53 pm

Michele wrote:I second what ARosenthal said. Outside of Pacific Edge, there is no gear to be found in Santa Cruz. Positively maddening for a climber! One other place worth contacting is Bugaboo Mountain Sports in downtown Santa Cruz. They used to carry climbing equipment a long time ago, but that may not be the case anymore. Now come to Boulder, Colorado and you'll be in gear heaven!

I don't think Bugaboo is around anymore... Michele do (did?) you live in Santa Cruz? :)

Return to Gear