Who has climbed at The sierra Nevada de Santamarta, Colombia

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
escueto

Who has climbed at The sierra Nevada de Santamarta, Colombia

by escueto » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:46 am

DOES ANYONE HAVE INFORMATION ABOUT THE COLON AND SIMON BOLIVAR PEAKS IN COLOMBIA??

These are the higuest peaks in Colombia, and they are so close to the atlantic Ocean!!
I really want to go, that Place is just wunderfull but the information is very poor.

Does anyone have maps, photos, advices, anything??

Thank you

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:45 am

I've also been interested in climbing on these peaks. There is some information and pictures in John Biggar's book 'Andes' but not a lot. The photos look quite good. It does say that it is dangerous to go to the Santa Marta because of guerilla activity.

But you live in Colombia - what do you think? Is it dangerous in that area ?

Scott Patterson might have more information as he has climbed in the other ranges of Colombia. It is very hard to get information on the Santa Marta, which is unfortunate as they seem to be very impressive mountains.
D
Last edited by Damien Gildea on Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corax

by Corax » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:58 am

Last time I was in Colombia I thought about going there for some climbing, but heard from many various sources the area is dangerous. Friends who have been there more recently, have told me the situation is still pretty bad, possibly worse. The stories you hear is about armed robberies and guerillas and the area is also a hide out for "traders".

Closer to the Pacific? For all that I know the peaks are right at the coast of the Caribean Sea/Atlantic.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:23 pm

Very.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:31 pm

Scott Patterson might have more information as he has climbed in the other ranges of Colombia. It is very hard to get information on the Santa Marta, which is unfortunate as they seem to be very impressive mountains.

We had planned to climb them, but they were closed at the time. It was do to the indiginous population living there whom didn't want visitors, not due to any war activity.

Teh old Lonely Planet book (1995) had a good route description for the Southern Route through someplace called Duriema or something similar? The route through Valledupar from the east is not recommended (i.e. the one in John Biggars book).

Both climbs require an ice axe and crampons and Bolivar is the harder of the two. The only info I have is in the 1995 Lonely Planet book and the Climbers and Hikers Guide to the Worlds Mountains. Apparently Colon is climbable without a rope, but not Bolivar.

I have seen the mountains and they look very beautiful and impressive, but since they were closed at the time, we did not climb them.

The southern route is supposed to be both the best and most scenic.

Ario

by Ario » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:17 am

This area is high on my list as well...
It's great to find other climbers interested in this project !
Keep posting :wink:

escueto

by escueto » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:05 pm

Hi everybody,
yes I live in Colombia and I know that go to these peaks in The Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta is not so easy now.
First you must obtain a permission from indigenous whom live there. if the don't give you the permission you can't go.
Second: The people says that there is a lot of guerilla or paramilitary people. So if you go, exist some risk. I am not sure how trust is it but it can be, despite the safety situation today in Colombia is better than some years ago. One Example ist "the sierra del Cocuy"; today ist very calm and the gerilla doesn't exist anymore.

However I know some Climbers have gone to the sierra nevada de santa marta. they say you should go in a unnoticed way. That means you must take with you only the necesary things and not a lot the luxury things.

If somebody want to go we can plan a trip!

escueto

Please can you send me the info you have?

by escueto » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:31 pm

Hi Scott, can you please email to me all the iformation you have please....
I don't have these books you said. here in Colombia I couldn't find them
Thanks a Lot

Ario

by Ario » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:33 pm

Ciao amigo !
tengo ganas de ir con tigo pero con mi trabajo no es posible antes 2009 (tengo otros proyectos de montana antes). Pero, como puedes imaginar, soy muy curioso de saber como se puede ir a las de Santa Marta. Entonces, si no te molesta, puedes envoyar me correos con noticias de la situacion alla.
Hasta luego y... suerte hermano !

Return to South America