Wind turbines on Steens Mountain

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
nhluhr

by nhluhr » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:53 am

Wastral wrote:How many different words can I use to say, ignorant moron. Nah, 2 works fine.
I think it would be more useful to try to convince people using sound arguments. Name calling will only alienate them and steel them against your cause.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:00 am

MoapaPk wrote:OK, turn the nasty toward me.

I recall another strange debate in the 1980s. We were investigating "magma energy" -- drilling into the supposed magma body below Long Valley (include Mammoth Lakes) and using circulation of steam to derive energy.

Many people were convinced that we were going to trigger a catastrophic eruption in Long Valley. The debate wasn't helped by the fact that one of my colleagues had published a picture showing Long Valley sitting on an immense magma chamber. The debate was eerily similar: "how can you guarantee there will not be a catastrophic eruption?" Well, growing up through quantum chemistry, I couldn't guarantee with 100%...

Have you seen the latest USGS drilling data that was completed in 2007???

The Long Valley Caldera may have enough Geo Thermal power potential to light up the entire west coast if harnessed correctly.

I will post it when my local USGS buddy sends me the link.

Very impressive stuff....

Previous

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)