Winter Montaineering in the Sierra

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
KurdishKlimber

Winter Montaineering in the Sierra

by KurdishKlimber » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:57 pm

Hi,

I am looking for suggestions on winter climbs in the Sierra that could be accomplished in 2-3 days.

Thanks,

Farzin

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:13 pm

One option is Mt. Whitney via Mountaineer's Route.

travelin_light

by travelin_light » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Some ideas:

http://pullharder.org/2007/10/01/possib ... er-climbs/

GO visit the South Face of Lone Pine Peak. Things like the Winter Route and the more difficult Winter Chimney are awesome. I tried Dyanamo-Hum (the HUGE corner system) last winter. We made up to the massive roof via ice, mixed and rock climbing but it had gotten too warm and by mid-day and everything started falling down so got the hell out of there. I think we waited too long in the season. There was definetly some ice up there though - would have been spectacular at the top.

Diggler

by Diggler » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:56 pm

The Sun Ribbon Arete on Temple Crag has been done in the winter. It's likely that it hasn't seen one since- this looks exciting & extremely interesting!

SP's own Misha (& Pavel?) did the E ridge of Russell in either the winter or spring- this looks challenging & fun too.

Long Valley, used to access Bear Creek Spire in the summer, is frequently skied in the winter- there are numerous peaks lining the valley- don't know the difficulty or avalanche danger on those slopes, but access is less of an issue than with other areas (the chief detractor from winter climbing in the Sierra, I'd say).

Yosemite Valley or Glacier Point road are excellent access points for higher locations in the winter, due to the lack of access restrictions (i.e. the roads are open to get there).

Don't know where you are, but Shasta & Lassen also make great winter climbs, conditions permitting.

bobpickering

by bobpickering » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:37 am

Here is a list of the highest peaks I've climbed in the winter:
Mt. Whitney
Mt. Williamson
White Mountain Peak
North Palisade
Starlight Peak
Mt. Shasta
Mt. Sill
Mt. Russell
Polemonium Peak
Split Mountain
Middle Palisade
Mt. Langley
Mt. Tyndall
Mt. Muir
Thunderbolt Peak
Mt. Humphreys
Norman Clyde Peak
Mt. Agassiz
Mt. Darwin
Mt. Winchell
Mt. Tom
Mt. Carillon
Mt. Gayley
I climbed the technically easiest routes on each peaks except for Sill, Polemonium, North Palisade, and Thunderbolt, which I did from the Palisade Glacier.

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:27 pm

Palisades are awesome in winter.

Return to California