Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.70890°N / 71.7236°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2197 ft / 670 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



Plymouth Mountain is one of few mountains in the Lakes Region/ White Mountains where solitude can be experienced almost every day. Though there are two named trails to the summit, both trails are rather undiscovered. The more popular of the two trails that climb to the top of Plymouth Mountain is the Plymouth Mountain Trail which begins on the western side of the mountain. This class 1 trail, 1.5 miles and 900 feet elevation gain (with some small scrambles) maintain a moderate pitch to the summit of Plymouth Mountain. I would not recommend the Ken Sutherland Trail which starts near Plymouth due to the fact that I found this trail three years ago to be overgrown and extremely hard to follow, causing me to try to bushwack to the top.

Although the very summit of Plymouth Mountain does not have views the outlook a hundred yards on the eastern ledges has terrific views of the Lakes Region and the southern White Mountains. This lookout also has some great scrambling rocks and can be great for those who are into bouldering. The great view from the summit as well as the pure solitude that can be experienced from this mountain is a true rarity among New Hampshire's mountains.

Getting There


VIA PLYMOUTH MOUNTAIN TRAIL: Take NH 25 west from Plymouth. Go around the rotary and head south on NH 3A towards Bristol. Head over the height of land and roughly five miles from the rotary make a left at a dirt road called Pike Hill. (this road is opposite the road towards Hebron and Groton). Head up the dirt road (not maintained in winter) roughly 1.3 miles to a turnaround and a small parking space just before the "do not enter sign. The Plymouth Mountain Trail will be on your right.

Red Tape


Use caution not to park on private land. Parking is very limited and the trail can be obscure. Luckily no fees though.

When To Climb


Spring through Fall is the recommended time due to the fact that the road is not maintained in winter.

Camping


There are no signs on either trailhead stating that camping is not permitted. However there is no reason to camp on this mountain due to the Plymouth Mountain Trail taking two hours.

Mountain Conditions


Here are two websites that will provide you the best information on conditions on Plymouth Mountain.

Appalachian Mountain Club

Current Trail Conditions

Weather Conditions


This is the best link to weather in Laconia.

Weather in Nearby Plymouth

Summit Picture Log


Put all hero pictures here.




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

NH Lakes RegionMountains & Rocks