Prestreljenik 15-02-06

Prestreljenik 15-02-06

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 46.36000°N / 13.47000°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Feb 15, 2006
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter

1

Towards the saddleTowards the saddle

In the morning of 15. February, we got up with some hangover, and slowly began to set up to our first trip, the plan was to try the equipment we will use, and to measure the conditions of the terrain. After a couple of minutes, we were on one of the first cable cars, and started the long route to the upmost station. My friend suddenly went sick of the jiggling movement of the cabin, and while we were ascending, the case went worse... When at least the trip ended, he could rejuvenate. After having a tea, (but not a Slivovka - plum brandy, they don't serve alcohol before 10 AM) we started out, in the very sunshine, and quickly passed the ski lanes.

2

The saddleThe saddle

We arrived to the slope which leads to the saddle of Prestreljenik. But as we walked a few ten meters, my friend told me that he feels horrible, so he stays there for a while, and waits until getting better. I said okay, and continued walking up. I decided against the plan to go for the summit because the weather was excellent. Only small vapour veils floated above the valley. The quality of the snow was very good, after a while I had to put on the crampons. Gladly found out it works very well, I soon arrived to the saddle. Then stayed for a while for taking pics, and enjoying view. I saw some footprints in the snow, so I decided to follow them - they were persuadive enough considering I could not find any marks. The prints headed directly upwards on the left edge of the east face, on rocky, snowy steep terrain. Here I found a ruined cable, the bolts were pulled out from the rocks, but first I didn't see this, so on a few meters I even grabbed it... So avoid them. Picture - enjoying view, then I spotted my friend coming up. So I waited for a while, picture, enjoying view... He came up to me, and we climbed some more meters, then he decided to turn back because he felt worse again. He said he will wait in the cable buffet.

3

Extraordinary view from the summitView to east

But I was very okay, the weather was excellent, the views were getting more and more enormous, so continued, now faster, followed the footprints. At nearly the last third of the route, the slope was getting steeper, and I had to cut steps in the snow with the ice axe, because the snow was not hard enough to hold my crampons (with upright front teeth). Then I arrived to the strange pipe thing (maybe some meteorological artifact), and after a few meters reached the summit. I was upset about the way down, because the route was quite steep and exposed. So I couldn't feel what I expected to. Spent about 15 minutes on the summit, taking pictures, enjoying view, and watching the movement of the clouds.

4

KrnClouds

The clouds were much larger and much more consistent than they were in the morning, and came up about 400 meters. I started to go down, fortunately found a sign of the marked route. This was also steep, but not much exposed, and the snow was thinner and harder. But somewhere, there were parts with thin hard layer on the top (which didn't stand my weight) and little pearl-formed snow below, which don't stick together, therefore don't hold. Here I could only put weight on the ice axe and the pole. It was quite psychic. When I was at about half the way, I suddenly heard a massive windblow from the summit, and as I looked upwards, spotted a slow but wide whirlwind of snowflakes running down on the center of the slope. I was frightened. It was 2:30 PM. The time when weather conditions go bad, if they go bad. They went. Soon I could also feel the blows of the wind. The looking distance got shorter, as clouds gathered around the mountain. But after a short while I finally arrived to the footprints at almost the saddle through a full traverse on the east face's right edge (the marked route), I realized that I escaped a possibly very bad situation...



5

Summit of Prestreljenik, February 2006Hero shot



In the buffet I ordered two Slivovkas even, and shown the pictures to my friend, and I was very satisfied with this trip. This was one of the best feelings I ever had before. Then we all hurried down, including staff, from the storm which was raging already...


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
cascadetraveler

cascadetraveler - Apr 27, 2006 1:27 am - Voted 10/10

NiceTrip report!

Good first trip report, morceaux. It is risky bieng on the mountain by yourself. I am glad your safe. The area you climb in is spectacular, beautiful scenery. I think it would be nice to write a report on the whole area or mountain range.....Larry.

morceaux

morceaux - Apr 27, 2006 6:38 am - Hasn't voted

Thanks!

Thank you Larry for the words.
I plan to write more stuff but first I have to go back there. I think it will happen by late summer.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

Table of Contents
Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.