Ptarmigan Traverse

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 48.46760°N / 121.0591°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Ptarmigan Traverse peaks are those arrayed along the part of the Crest of Washington's North Cascades from Cascade Pass, south to Dome Peak. The Ptarmigan Traverse (or “PT”) is a week-long, off-trail high route weaving between those glaciated peaks. There's a separate Mountain Page for the trek itself, with five Route pages for the stages of the trip. Check there for details and photos of the trip.

overall map


The Peaks

View S from Spider-Formidable Col

The table below lists the major, named peaks of the Ptarmigan. Only a few of them have SP pages so far. The route pages for the stages of the traverse list about an equal number of minor summits that are named in the guidebooks, but not on the map.

Name

Elevation

Acme Map

Mix-Up Peak

7440

MAP

Magic Mountain

7610

MAP

Hurry-up Peak (S Mountain)

7821

MAP

Spider Mountain

8280

MAP

Mount Formidable

8325

MAP

Le Conte Mountain

7762

MAP

Old Guard Peak

8240

MAP

Sentinel Peak

8261

MAP

Lizard Mountain

7400

MAP

Spire Point

8264

MAP

Dome Peak

8920

MAP

Sinister Peak

8440

MAP

Gunsight Peak (Blue Mountain)

8198

MAP



The original Ptarmigan party climbed Buckner, Sahale, and Johannesberg at the N end of the traverse. Dome is usually considered the S end of the PT, but Sinister and Gunsight are so tempting and so remote from any other approach, they're often climbed as part of a Ptarmigan trip.

Getting There

See the Ptarmigan traverse “mountain” page.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.