Rørnestinden

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 69.54920°N / 20.14390°E
Additional Information Route Type: Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: moderate ski.
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Rørnestinden is a separate peak from Goalsevarri, but it is in the same area, and shares the same approach, so it is listed as a route here.
Rørnestinden is directly north from Goalsevarri, and anchors the opposite end of an almost G shaped cirque. It is a great alternative go Goalsevarri if you are having a lazy day, as the summit is almost 250 meters lower, and the grade is easier. The south facing descent also gets plenty of sunshine which is a plus on those winter\early spring days.


Getting There

See the main page for driving directions.

Route Description

From wherever you have parked...
Follow the biggest path you can find. In winter there are ski tracks everywhere, in spring and summer, it's a little easier. Watch for red blazes on birch trees. The main path winds around bluffs, and eventually trends left. All the paths converge on a ski hut at just over 300m elevation.
From the ski hut (ski hytte) head up onto a windswept plateau. Directly above is Goalsevarri, with the entrance to the cirque to the right. Also visible is Rørnestinden far to the right (north). Resist the urge to head directly for it, instead, continue due west into the cirque, skirting the base of Goalsevarri. Once directly between the two peaks, begin a WNW trend, eventually crossing the stream. Continue past Rørnestinden on an almost flat plateau, aim for the gap between Rørnestinden and a larger steeper peak (Rørnesfjellet).
Now the angle steepens, switchback up, staying on the left (west) side of the peak. As the angle eases, head more directly for the summit.

Descent:

The descent of Rørnestinden is shorter than Goalsevarri, but wider, allowing for big swooping turns. Head down the center of the south face, aim for the best area to cross the stream, which is a lot easier to see on the descent than the ascent.
Last hint: Keep up your speed upon reaching the plateau, or you may end up poling\skating a bit before reaching the ski hut.

Essential Gear

Randonee or telemark skis and bindings. This peak can be done with 3 pin toe only bindings, but you had better know what you're doing, and pray for lot's of cushy snow. Skins.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.