Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.52276°N / 118.73487°W
Additional Information County: Mono
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11472 ft / 3497 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Red Mtn. and the Nevahbe RidgeRed Mtn. north slope and Nevahbe Ridge
This Red Mountain is one of those big old rounded scarp peaks on the east edge of the Sierra just southwest of Tom's Place between Mammoth Lakes and Bishop.
This is a walk-up scramble dayhike with outstanding views of the Rock Creek Sierra, the colorful Nevahbe Ridge and an east side view all the way north to Mt. Dana and beyond.
The north slope is class 1-2 from Little Round Valley, the east slope is class 2 from the Rock Creek Road and the south ridge is class 1-2 from the Hilton Lakes Trail.
The summit is a large rolling one covered with iron oxide red rock.

Getting There

Nevahbe Ridge east face from Red Mtn.Nevahbe Ridge from Red Mtn.
From the junction of Hwy 120 and Hwy 395 go south 43 miles to Tom's Place.
From Bishop take Hwy 395 north 23.5 miles from the junction with Hwy. 6 to Tom's Place.

North slope: 4,400' gain, 7 miles round trip.
Turn south and go a half block at Tom's Place. Go right, past the resort/saloon approximately 2 miles to the Aspen Springs area in Little Round Valley and find a good place to tackle the beast.

East slope: 3,400' gain, 3 miles round trip.
From the Tom's Place junction go south 3.5 miles on the Rock Creek Road to 8,300'. Park by the road and take the steep east slope.
This route is a big grunt through all kinds of shit. I ran into a nice little aspen grove growing in a steep scree/talus field on the way down.

South slope: 2,100' gain, 10 miles round trip.
Take the Rock Creek Road south at Tom's Place 8 miles across from the Pine Grove Campground and corral. Take the switchback trail .7 up to the junction with the Hilton Lakes Trail and go right 2 miles up to the saddle before Hilton Lakes. Break trail to the north and hike cross county over a few small rollers 3 miles to the peak.

Red Tape

North from Red Mtn.North from Red Mtn.
Rock Creek and Hilton Lakes Sierra Crest from Red Mtn.Sierra crest peaks above Hilton Lakes from Red Mtn.


No permits are required for dayhiking this peak. For camping etc. check out RED TAPE on the John Muir Wilderness page.

Camping

Red Mtn. and Glass Mtns.Red Mtn. south slope and Glass Mtns. from Pointless Peak
These campgrounds are all in succession further up Rock Creek Road.

Lower Rock Creek, 7,300', .3 miles
Aspen,8,300' at 3.7 miles
Iris Meadow, 8,400' at 4 miles
Palisade, 8,500' at 5.8 miles
East Fork, 8,970' at 5.9 miles then go left .7 miles
Pine Grove, 9,300' at 7.4 miles
There are sveral campgrounds around Rock Creek Lake at 9,700' at 8.6 miles
Mesquito Flat at 10,000' at 10.5 miles

Current weather and 5 day forecast

For weather and forecast click here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
hgrapid

hgrapid - May 1, 2011 7:36 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice work

Cool mountain. Seems very accessible. You may want to check spelling and all. At one point you wrote: "Take the Rock Crrek Road". I always nitpick, but this is a really cool spot. Are there campsites close to Tom's Place I can check out this summer with easy access to 12k+ peaks?

Noondueler

Noondueler - May 2, 2011 12:11 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice work

Yeah, thanks hgrapid. I already fixed 'creek'. I listed a bunch of campsites along the Rock Creek road, some near Tom's Place. Probably the easiest route is the south slope. If you want to camp close to 12ers Little Lakes Valley is awesome! If you do this mountain please add to the page.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2