Reißeck Traverse (East-West)

Reißeck Traverse (East-West)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.94713°N / 13.36437°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The east-west traverse of Reißeck can be made in both directions and even can be extended.

We started in the Malta valley at Schlatzingerau and ended in Kolbnitz.

Getting There

The malta valley is reachable by public transport or by car. Kolbnitz has a railway station and a bus stop.

Route Description

East-West Traverse

From Schlazingerau follow the gravel road and maybe some shortcuts to Obere Tandleralm.

Shortly after the Hut (not open) we reach the timberline. Search your way to the col between Tandlspitze and Bärennock. The last part to the col is rather steep and can be dangerous in winter. From the col follow the south ridge to the summit of Tandlspitze.

Tandlspitze Camp
Tandlspitze Camp

Over steep terrain (grass and rocks) follow the flank below the west ridge until a col. Then mostly on the ridge to a point where its possible to climb down to the north side of the ridge. We had to go down on skis about 400m to the north and  turn west around a rock cliff which is leading north from the ridge. And finally south to reach the col east of Hohenkareck.

On the south side of Hohenkareck (or traversing it) and after crossing the plateau it's easy to reach the south-east ridge of Kleines Reißeck.

Climb Kleines Reißeck over the SE ridge, the triangle or the NE ridge depending on conditions.

The traverse between Kleines and Großes Reißeck leads over rocks and very steep grass. Be careful on snow and icy conditions!

Reißeck ridge
Reißeck ridge

The normal route from Reißeck down leads over the south ridge. We took the north-west ridge which is a little more exposed until the col east of Großer Stapnik. Then down and around some small lakes to Mooshütte (AV-key is needed!)

Mooshütte
Mooshütte

The way down from Mooshütte can be tricky and dangerous in winter (2 possibilities: with a short via ferrata or the longer Viehtriebweg). The other option would be to cross over a pass to Reißeckhütte and walk out the long way to the valley.

Essential Gear

In summer normal mountaineering clothes should be sufficient - do not underestimate this mountain. There are no usable huts on the way! Bring your favourite bivi equipment.

For our winter trip we brought a small tent, stove, food, ski, crampones, one ice axe each.

Please take care of the environment! Do not leave any traces! Bring all your rubbish down to the valley!

External Links

 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.