Rif. Del Pilar via Roque Niquiomo

Rif. Del Pilar via Roque Niquiomo

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 28.58300°N / 17.8336°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike and scree scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See the getting there info on the main page on how you get to Rifugio del Pilar.

Route Description


  • General data
      - Start altitude: 1455m
      - Summit altitude: 1922m
      - Prevailing exposition: S and W
      - Type: 4h along well marked paths
      - Protection: marked
  • Effort: 900m of altitude gain
  • Power: 1 - easy
  • Psyche: 1 - easy

    This is a very moderate route along the eastern slopes of the Cumbre Vieja, which turns into a steep scree scramble for the final ascent.

    Start out eastward from Rifugio del Pilar along the access road LP-203 for 200m. At the parking lot, follow the trail (GR131) along Cumbre Nueva for another 200m northwards. A hiking path shows to the east and here PR LP-18 starts heading down the Cumbre Nueva east slopes. After some 30min you reach a Zona Recreativa, Pared Vieja which in itself could be another worthwhile trailhead.

    Here cross LP-203 again (direction south) and head through the bush along SL BB132. There is a path / road but without it the trail would be a serious bushwhack. After a while you reach the intersection with PR LP-17 on which you turn in westward direction (= up). Again at the next intersection you need to switch, this time on SL VM-124 southward. This is a forest road which leads almost directly to Roque Niquiomo.

    The next intersection (PR LP-16) takes you to Niquiomo (east) or Nambroque (west). I would suggest taking the 15min downhill hike to Niquiomo to enjoy the view before starting the uphill scramble to Nambroque. PR LP-16 leads to the Rifugio Andres Martin on Llano de las Moscas. Here a path SL VM.125 leaves the road and heads more or less directly for Pico Nambroque. It negotiates the southern slopes of MontaƱa de la Marcilla and reaches the Cumbre Vieja Ridge north of Nambroque. A short southward stroll along the Hoyo Negro Rim takes you to another intersection where you need to turn eastward to Nambroque. Watch out for the funnels! They could easily swallow a man ;-)

    Essential Gear


    Hiking gear is sufficient, definitely bring solid boots!


  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.