Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Feb 14, 2006
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter

Winter Dayhikes from Carvers Gap

Took a winter dayhike up both Roan High Knob and Round Bald today. Typical of this area, 3 days after a big snowstorm there was the 2+ feet in the woods on Roan High Knob and bare grass on sun-exposed Round Bald.

These mountains can get a tremendous amount of snow, even when the valley below gets none. When there is a big snow and the balds are clear, don't be surprised to find 2' in the woods. The road over Carvers Gap (5512 ft) even closes when the snow is too deep to plow. People come from Asheville and beyond to cross country ski on the access road and the AT. When there is a big snow storm, conditions rival New England.

This is a great area no matter the time of year but it can be crowded in spring and summer, especially mid June with the Rhododendron gardens are in full bloom.

My favorite way to summit is by bicycle from Roan Mt, Tennessee. From the base of the climb (store) it took me 1 hr 26' (LA I'm not) The descent took not long. Great ride on a clear day, miserable when raining. (The old Tour duPont came over this pass, the highest pass on the east coast.)

For more specific information see my Roan Highlands page.


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Roan HighlandsTrip Reports