Page Type Page Type: Custom Object
Location Lat/Lon: 0.2136°S / 78.48853°W
Additional Information Object Type: Informational

Overview

 
El Rocodromo de Quito.
Rocodromo Complex.
The climbing complex “Ciudad de Quito” better known as El Rocodromo is one of the most complete and important climbing complexes of Ecuador and is run by Asociacion de Escalada y Andinismo de Pichincha (AEAP).

It has a 19-meter (62 feet) artificial climbing wall with eight routes of different inclination and difficulty, an indoor climbing gym, a couple of boulder caves and a large bouldering area in the exterior.

It also has a 10-meter (30 feet) rock climbing wall with several different routes ranging in difficulty from 5.7 to 6.11b (YDS). It has a chimney, many vertical walls as well as an overhanging wall.

The top of each climbing wall is equipped with horizontal steel tubes which can be use for top roping or to set anchor systems and reunions.
All the rock faces and artificial climbing walls are well bolted. 
Rocodromo at night.
 


Getting There

El Rocodromo is the most accessible climbing area in Quito. It is located in La Vicentina neighborhood right across Coliseo General Rumiñahui, just 15 minute-walk from La Mariscal area (Quito’s Touristic Neighborhood).

Buses to El Rocodromo can be taken mostly anywhere near La Mariscal as well as taxis (USD. 1,00).

Climbing walls and boulders

-Rock Climbing walls. These castle-shaped rocks are the oldest man-made climbing walls of Ecuador. They were made of natural rocks by Concentracion Deportiva de Pichincha in the 80’s in order to promote the sport and the climbing passion to Quito’s inhabitants. Its routes range from 5.00 to 10,12 (YDS).

-Artificial Climbing walls and boulders. Built in the beginning of 2004 by AEAP for training and for Sport Competences. Routes can not be described because they change from time to time due to the International Climbing Championships held in it.

Essential Gear

All the climbing routes in the complex are bolted. You’ll need a rope, a harness and belay device for the artificial climbing wall. For the rock climbing wall, a 50-meter rope, harness, belay device and 6 quickdraws will suffice for all the routes.

Climbing gear can be rented or bought at Monodedo Climbing Store at AEAP’s offices inside the building (4th floor).

Red Tape

-Entrance fee is USD. 2,00 for visitors and USD. 1,00 for AEAP members. Members from other mountaineering Clubs from Quito pay USD. 1,00 too, except for members from “Nuevos Horizontes” Mountaineering Club which are not part of the Association.

-It usually takes months for AEAP members to get their Membership ID’s (USD. 25,00 per year), meanwhile you can get an entrance fee discount by showing your membership invoice at the gate.

-There’s a free fee parking lot at the complex.

Camping

The climbing area closes at 7:30 pm. Camping is not allowed in the complex.

External Links

www.monodedo.com

Miscellaneous Information

Guidebooks:

- Ecuador, Climbing and Hiking Guide. Rob Rachowiecki and Mark Thurber. (6th Edition). Aug. 2008.

- Ecuador & the Galapagos Islands. Regis St Louis, Lucy Burningham, Aimee Dowl, Michael Grosberg. (8th Edition). Aug. 2009.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.