Rosenlauistock West Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.67310°N / 8.18100°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering, Trad Climbing
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: UIAA IV+, A0 (YDS 5.7)
Sign the Climber's Log

Introduction

EngelhörnerRosenlauistock on the left



Rosenlauistock at 2198 meters is the lowest pinnacle of the west group that includes Tannenspitze, Engelburg and Sattelspitzen. One can climb these towers separately or traverse the entire group from west to east.






Approach

From the Engelhorn hut, follow the hut trail towards Rosenlaui until below the NW flank of Rosenlauistock. Here there is an obvious fork in the trail, which leads to the base of the west ridge. Follow this trail, which descends a little until one reaches the beginning of a set of plates, which are climbed to reach a continuation of the trail. Stay on the trail until a prominent gully that descends from the west flank. Follow this gully towards a grassy pass until the beginning of the west ridge proper is seen and traverse over to it on the climber's trail. About 1/2 hour from the hut.

If not staying at the hut, watch for the fork on the way up.

Route Description

Rosenlauistock from the westView up route


The first pitch of UIAA III reaches a grassy shoulder, which is crossed to the base of a gully. Up the slightly overhanging chimney/gully, which is the crux at UIAA V+ or IV+ A0 to the ridge proper. Now up the ridge crest and through a small talus filled gully, UIAA III. Left out of the gully via a small, steep crack with good holds, UIAA III. Holding to the right, a series of cracks are ascended - UIAA III+ to IV - and then to the left to the base of the actual summit block of Rosenlauistock. Here there are 2 choices. The direct ascent through cracks in two pitches of UIAA IV+ to V or the "Classic"route which first traverses to left into the NW flank (UIAA IV) and over steep rock bands to the summit, UIAA III. 1 1/2 to 2 hours from the base.






Descent

Downclimb/scramble the exposed SE flank to the pass between Rosenlauistock and Tannenspitze. From here the traverse of the West Group is continued, but if descending, continue down the grassy slopes on the climber's trail until an easy to find rappel station (the "Liftwing") is reached. After rappeling 20m, continue on the trail and over plates back to the base of the west ridge.

Essential Gear

50 m rope, regular rack (some protection in place, but some of it is suspect), slings, carabiners, rappel gear, helmet!


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.