Round Valley

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 33.81440°N / 116.6783°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Los Angeles take I-10 east to CA 111. Take CA 111 towards Palm Springs and turn right at the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway sign. Drive to the tram station at the end of the road. Take the tramway to the upper station and get your wilderness permit at the ranger station 1/4 mile beyond the tramway station.

Route Description


From the upper tram station, simply follow the signs for San Jacinto Peak. The trail is fairly easy. It travels through beautiful forests to the fern-bordered meadow of Round Valley. From there the trail climbs to Wellman Divide where there are fantastic vistas of the State Park. Here the trail merges with the Devil's Slide Trail (make sure to follow the signs to the peak) and continues to climb towards the peak. After a couple of switchbacks that traverse the mountain you will reach a junction with a short trail to the summit. The trail ends just below the summit boulders. Scramble a short distance to the high point. The distance to the summit from the upper tram ststion is 5.8 miles with a mild 2,800 foot elevation gain.

The winter time transforms the San Jacinto Wilderness into a whole new world. Taking the tram can put you into a winter wonderland made for snowshoeing and skiing. One can either ski and shoe to summit faily easily.

Essential Gear


Water. Winter gear during winter.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.