Sausage Penne Pasta
Sausage Penne Pasta- (6 Hungry SummitPost members eat the Dish in the Lost Rivers in Idaho)
Should feed 4 hungry adults. You can use your own judgment on how much sauce to make and take with you- If you are backpacking you might not want leftovers for your critter friends.
1 Lb of Italian Sausage
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
¼ Cup Chopped Celery
¼ Cup Diced Onion
3 Tablespoons Diced Garlic
2 30 oz Cans Diced Tomatoes – (Drain the Excess water)
2 Tablespoons Dried Oregano
1 Cup of Fresh Chopped Basil
¼ Cup Green Bell Pepper
¼ Cup Yellow Bell Pepper
¼ Cup Red Bell Pepper
1 lb of Ready to Cook Dry Penne Pasta
I Can Medium Black Olive (Drained)
1 Tablespoon Hot Pepper Seeds
1. Start the Trinity – In a fry pan 3 tablespoons of olive oil, ¼ cup of chopped celery, ¼ cup of diced onion and 3 Tablespoons of minced or chopped garlic
2. In the pot you will cook the sauce in, fry a pound of Italian Sausage until brown, drain the fat and discard it.
3. Combine trinity with meat in the cook pot and add 3 large Cans of Diced tomatoes- Simmer together
4. Add Basil (4 Leafs), hot pepper seeds and oregano to the mixture
5. Add 3 tablespoons of sugar, and then bring to a boil. Turn down to low and continue to stir until liquid is cooked out of the tomatoes.
6. Towards the end of the process add ¼ cup of chopped bell pepper (Red, Yellow and Green)
7. Allow for the sauce to cool completely and add to a 1 gallon freezer bag with a good seal and freeze it if backpacking or refrigerate for Car Camping.
8. Boil 16 oz of Penne Pasta short of el dente (Firm), drain and allow to cool and put in a 1 gallon freezer bag with a good seal. Refrigerate.
Directions at camp
1. At the camp site heat the sauce in your cook pot until it’s fairly warm.
2. Add the amount of penne pasta to it that you desire, make sure it doesn’t scorch- low heat or steady stirring to avoid burning (you can use a little olive oil or any other kind of cooking oil to prevent it from scorching.
3. Add parmesan cheese and feed the team-