Schrentebachboden

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.84900°N / 12.42150°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See the Getting There Section for the general information. This is the northern trailhead so you need to go through Winkeltal from Außervillgraten. At the end of the valley you'll find Volkzeiner Hütte at 1884m elevation.

Route Description


Hochgrabe photo_id=118438

  • General data
      - Start altitude: 1884m
      - Summit altitude: 2951m
      - Prevailing exposition: W, later S
      - Type: 4h over paths
      - Protection: marked but without security
  • Effort: 1200m of altitude gain, 12km distance to the summit.
  • Power: 1 - no difficulties
  • Psyche: 1 - easy
  • Orientation: 1 - easy

    The ascent to Hochgrabe from its northern trailhead is the more popular of the two hiking ascents. From Volkzeiner Hütte you can choose between two trails which climb the slopes of the northern resp. southern slopes of the upper Winkeltal Valley. they later recombina at Schrentebachboden a large and shallow cirque north of the Hochgrabe summit.

    The trail along the southern slopes of the valley is the easier one, since it steadily climbs until it almost reaches the elevation of Schrentebachboden. Here at the end of Winkeltal Valley a large step (200 - 300m) blocks the way. The southern trail crosses this step at its top, doing the traverse on a narrow but only moderately exposed ledge.

    The northern trail on the other hand follows Winkeltal towards Heinkeralm, which is located just below the giant step. Here it turns north and starts zigzagging to the north of the step until it reaches Schrentebachboden just north of the Waterfall which tosses from Schrentebachboden down into Winkeltal.

    The second stage of the ascent is an easy hike along the Schrentebachboden Cirque. It climbs slowly until it reaches Goldtrögele, which derived its name from the glimmering gneiss rock of which it is composed. Here the ascent turns east and starts to climb more steeply. In front of you you see the north-eastern summit ridge over which the final ascent reaches the summit.

    The ridge is easily reached and from here on a steep scramble takes you to Hochgrabe's summit. The ridge is not exposed.

    Essential Gear


    Hiking gear and a good stamina since the overall distance is rather large.


  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    HochgrabeRoutes