SE Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.07275°N / 115.47767°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Area where you swerve up onto the ridge
Near base of ridge
This is a new route discovered by Richard N in 2013 which follows the SE ridge most of the way to the summit of this often climbed peak. It features some nice climbing before joining the regular route at about 6,067’ for the final 350’ to the summit.  
Google route trace
Google route trace
This is a nice ½ day climb which should require about 2 hours or so in each direction while gaining about 2,750’ of elevation. The roundtrip distance is about 5 miles.

Getting There

From Charleston Blvd and the 215 Beltway in the western part of Las Vegas, take Charleston Blvd. (Highway 159) west for about 5 miles to the entrance to Red Rock Canyon NCA. Do not enter here…continue on Hwy 159 past the exit from Red Rock loop and go about 4 miles to the formal trailhead for First Creek on the right side of the road.

Route Description

As you start hiking west across the desert from the First Creek trailhead, follow the well defined trail to the point where it makes a 90 degree turn to the left (south) and when it bends back toward the canyon, head across the desert toward the east face of Indecision Peak. You gain elevation on an ascending traverse from the north to the south side of the lower portion of the east face. 
Arch location
arch location viewed from trailhead


There are various ways to ascend the initial portion of the climb including the rock strewn gully described in the original east face gully route description. If you prefer a more enjoyable route, look for cairns marking a variation that lies north of the gully route and climbs along a sub ridge as indicated on my Google maps route trace.  
Arch along the way
arch
This variation will take you close to a fine arch (N 36 04.343 w 115 28.246) as shown in my attached photos. To visit the arch one must swing a bit off route toward the north and then return south to resume the climb. 
excitement for a few feet
exciting section


The SE ridge is gained a little north of the smooth faced rock used as a guidepost in the original route description.  
landmark tree&boulder
landmark tree & boulder near start
By following the SE ridge, about a mile of hiking is eliminated due to the more direct line followed to the summit.  
merging of routes
routes merge


Camping

 
cliffs along route south of arch
View south near arch
There is a campground located south of SR159 two miles east of the entrance to RRCNCA. There is no developed campground within Red Rock NCA, although backcountry camping with a permit is allowed.

Red Tape

National Park entrance fees apply in Red Rock National Conservation area. Hours of operations vary by season. See Red Rock NCA Home Page There are no fees collected at this trailhead since it is located beside highway 159 and does not require formal entrance into the NCA.

When best to climb

Spring and Fall are the peak seasons as it becomes extremely hot in the summer. Winter can be an excellent time as well unless snow and ice accumulate from winter storms making the scrambling too hazardous. This is most likely to occur in January and February.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.