Sentiero della Pace

Sentiero della Pace

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.35950°N / 11.76510°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Trailhead is Passo di San Pellegrino. Follow the instructions in the Getting There Section of the main page.

Route Description


Cima Iuribrutto as seen from Sentiero della Pace


  • General data
      - Start altitude: 1886m
      - Summit altitude: 2697m
      - Prevailing exposition: NE
      - Type: 2h on trails, 1h unmarked scramble
      - Protection: none
  • Effort: 800m gain in elevation
  • Power: 1 - easy
  • Psyche: 1 - easy

    On the parking lot near the hospice at Passo di San Pellegrino look for the large display with info about Sentiero della Pace (south-western end of the lot). Here the sentiero starts leading westward along the Palùe meadows beneath the Col Margherita and Cima Iuribrutto North Faces. It soon leaves the treeline behind and heads for the ridge between Col delle Palùe and Col d'Orso.

    Descend into Vald'Orso turning southward. The trail keeps close to the Iuribrutto west face and heads for Forca di Iuribrutto which is reached by a short scramble. Here a second trail, coming from Baita Allochet, also in San Pellegrino Valley meets.

    From the Forca turn east climbing the slopes among the porphyry rocks. The grass vanishes and a written mark on the rock indicates the spot where the Iuribrutto ascent begins. There are stone cairns to indicate a trail but you can easily lose sight of them in the sloped porphyry desert. Use your own judgement to reach the summit plateau. To finally get to the summit you need to cross the WW I walls and trenches which are in relatively good shape. Look for one of the collapsed sections. On the summit itself you will find the leftovers of a larger fortification, directly above the north face.

    You also can "cheat" by taking the cable car from Passo di San Pellegrino to Col Margherita. Follow Alta Via Marlotta (signs to Cima Bocche) until you reach Forca di Vallazza. Here the summit scramble turns off right (NE). It is easier to find than the one from Forca di Iuribrutto.

    Essential Gear

    Climbing gear is sufficient.
  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.