Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.12340°N / 11.37940°E
Additional Information Elevation: 8917 ft / 2718 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


The last mountain in the mountain range reaching from the Habicht to the west. Built of lime, it is a beautyful mountain and allows excellent views to the Zillertal and Stubai alps. Its beauty and the easy climbing leads to an occasionally overcrowded peak. When I have been there the first ascent was at 4 am in the morning, a consecutive number of further ascents proofed that this was correct (as could be seen in the summits log). I estimate the number of climbers to be at least 100 on a nice summers day). The easiest route is an easy scramble (fixed ropes at difficult steps) though much more difficult ascents (climbing) are possible (e.g. the AAVI-tower and the LSK-tower)

Getting There


An ascent is easiest from Maria Waldrast (1641 m) which is accesible from Matrei (in Tyrol between Innsbruck and Brenner - the austrian/italian border). The trail is marked and easy to find. The ascent to the Serles Jöchl is an easy walk, after that a short ladder allows climbing a step, from then the walking is steeper and sometimes easy scramble is necessary (with ropes at difficult places).
A second ascent is possible from the Stubai valley (from Kampl or Medraz). I never did this ascent, therefore I add no information on this.

Red Tape


No permits are required. Parking at Maria Waldrast is possible though a toll has to be paid for the street from Matrei to Maria Waldrast. The barrier is open in the night, in this case the toll has to be paid in the evening on leaving.

When To Climb


Summer month, i.e. May until September

Camping


The whole area is a national park which prohibits certain things, inter alia camping (possibly except bivouaking in certain cases).

Mountain Conditions


Mountain conditions are possibly available from the monastery Maria Waldrast which is at the bottom of the Serles (Tel.: +5273/6219, open the whole year)

Information on alpine weather is found here: Wetter

Guides, Maps, Books


The recommended guide is the "Alpenvereinsführer" "Stubaier Alpen - alpin" by Walter Klier (Bergverlag Rother)
A guide describing various climbing routes in this area is written by Andreas Orgler: STUBAIER ALPEN - Fels & Eis
A good map is sold by freytag & berndt (Innsbruck Stubai - Sellrain Brenner 1:50000, WK241).
The Alpenvereinskarte is - in this region - not significantly more useful (31/5 Innsbruck/Umgebung 1:50000)

First Ascent


Possibly H. G. Ernstinger at about 1579!

Climbing


Several climbing routes are described in Orglers book (vide supra).

External Links

  • Dieter Hartig
    Pictures and impressions from a Serles tour
  • Almenrausch
    Further Information including a map
  • AAVI Homepage
    This is the HP of our society. Among other pictures you will find the story of our ascent of this tower


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Habicht - Serles GroupMountains & Rocks