Sheep Mountain 4-21-07

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 21, 2007
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring

The Hike

This was my second trip of the day. Earlier in the day I hiked the Bird Spring Range. It was a short drive from the Bird Spring Range through Good Springs, NV over to Jean. I was going to hike this mountain a few weeks back but there were people every where around the mountain for some off road racing on the dry lake beds to the east of the mountain. So I put this trip off until today.

Sheep Mountain


Summitpost member sierragator was with me. As we pulled up to park there were some people doing some target practicing. This messed us up. We would have had to go right in front of them to do the route we wanted, so instead we hiked straight ahead into a wash.

Eventually we hiked up onto a ridge and then finally noticed Sheep Mountain off to our SW. We had to hike over some ridges to get on the main flat open ridge to the north of the summit.

Once we got on the correct ridge it was a short distance to the saddle and then up along the ridge to the summit. After the saddle as we hiked up the ridge there were great views to the west of Devil Peak. There were some carved windows along the ridge where you could look through and see Devil Peak.


Devil Peak


We then reached the summit. The last 1/4 mile was steep but it was over quickly. From the summit there were expansive views that included McCullough Mountain, Devil Peak, the dry lakes in the area, and much more. We were treated with planes and gliders flying over the summit.



On the return trip we followed the ridge line back to the saddle and then to the north along the ridge. Eventually we traversed down into a wash that lead us to a road back to our parking spot. We then saw the initial ridge we should have taken up. The people that were target practicing were gone. Just as we left though another person showed up. We then saw a 4 planes in formation flying by. The weekend is a great time to get an air show here.

The total trip was a little over 4 miles and about 1200 feet elevation gain.

4 planes in formation


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sheep MountainTrip Reports