North Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.34930°N / 105.2014°W
Additional Information Route Type: Off-trail Hike, Easy Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2+
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


RT Distance: 12 miles
Elevation Gain: 2900'

See the 'Getting There' section on the main page for driving directions to the beginning of Forest Service Road 538. This road is closed to vehicular traffic.

Route Description


Private property pollution is a problem near Long Scraggy Peak. A circuitous route is necessary to completely circumvent private property, including the residences in the Spring Creek development and the Long Scraggy Ranch. Hike up Forest Service Road 538 to the closed Top of the World Campground. From here, you'll need your orienteering skills to make your way to your goal. Once you leave the Top of the World Road, your hike will be completely off-trail, though you may come across one of a few roads or old trails in the area which may aid your progress. A map and compass are highly recommended. From the campground, descend about 800' to Spring Creek. Hike south along the creek for about a half-mile before turning southeast for the peak. Your goal is Long Scraggy's north ridge, which you'll want to attain about a half-mile due south of Point 7879.

Once you're on the ridge the ascent steepens, and you'll have some routefinding choices. The first obstacle is a steep buttress on the ridge, and it is bypassed on slopes to the west, which will be a strategy you'll repeat. I'll refer to this buttress as "North Scraggy." Past North Scraggy, you'll continue to avoid the ridge crest in favor of the slopes on the west. My party found a cairned route on these slopes leading to the summit. The crux before you reach the summit is a short but slabby and steep gully bringing you back toward the crest. Take heart as you near the summit block because it's not as hard as it looks. Circling around it clockwise, you'll squeeze through a crack and finish the climb with an easy Class 2+ scramble.

Return via your ascent route. On the way back, consider the scramble up North Scraggy, which is more difficult than Long Scraggy's summit block. While North Scraggy would be a sustained and probably difficult climb from the north, from the south it's just a fun Class 3 scramble up solid Pikes Peak granite, and gives you a keen view over to "East Scraggy" and down to the South Platte.

Essential Gear


A map and compass are essential for the off-trail section of this hike. Other than that a sturdy pair of hiking boots, and some gaiters if you're hiking in the winter.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.