West Face, LSP

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.34930°N / 105.2014°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This route is more of an interpretation of the terrain than a cairned, trailed route. It simply follows the line of least resistance up the west face, in a gully that ends about .2 miles due north of the summit area.

Getting There

Park at the Long Scraggy TH off of Hwy 126 (daily fee area), hike or bike north along the highway about .25 miles, then head east on (closed) FR 530.

Route Description

Follow the road as it winds down and avoids all of the private property. When you get to where you can begin to see the west face, you will be walking up a small rise - follow the terrain east and climb the series of ascending ledges, ramps, rocks, and terraces up the west face of LSP, choosing a line as easy or as difficult as you like. This will eventually put you on the north ridge route of LSP, about .25 miles from the summit. You will likely find cairns and flagging. Head south to the summit and enjoy the views.

Overall, there is no "trail", but the route goes well at 2+ or easy 3rd (but harder if you want).

From the west (as described), this is about an 8 mile RT hike/scramble.

Essential Gear

Sturdy hiking shoes, daypack essentials, trekking poles. A map is useful.

External Links



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.