Signal Peak, KOFA, Arizona

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Feb 5, 2023
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter

Overview

The 4877 ft Signal Peak is a local high point in southwestern Arizona’s KOFA National Wildlife Refuge an hour north of the city of Yuma. From its summit, you will have great views of the surrounding desert plains and the jagged nearby peaks. A 1.9-mile one-way well-beaten path starts in Kofa Queen Canyon to the northeast of the peak and takes you to the summit. Reaching the starting point, requires driving on rough dirt roads. To lessen the drive, I parked at a spot on the desert plain before where the road entered the canyon. The hike in the canyon itself turned out to be quite scenic.

 

 

Trip Report

 

Elevation where I parked: 2165 ft

Summit Elevation: 4877 ft

Hike Length: 10.38 mile

 

 

 

February 5, 2023

 

Left the vacation rental house in Yuma, Arizona at 6:20 AM (sunrise 7:30 AM). It began to light up as I drove more than 50 miles north on Route 95. Past mile marker 85, I turned east onto a signed dirt road for KOFA National Wildlife Refuge Palm Canyon. The shadow of Signal Peak could be seen to the east against the yellow/orange sky.

 

Signal Peak
Signal Peak

 

Full moon still visible to the west.

 

Looking west at the moon
Looking west at the moon

 

Shadow of the jagged mountains to the north of Signal Peak.

 

Jagged peaks to the north of Signal Peak
Jagged peaks to the north of Signal Peak

 

Went east 3.4 miles on the well graded dirt road. Saw lots and lots of RVs where people had camped. Another view of Signal Peak.

 

Signal Peak
Signal Peak

 

I then turned north and got on a two-track which eventually turned east and went toward the mountains at the mouth of KOFA Queen Canyon. Earlier, on the map, I had measured 4.5 miles until the two-track went into the canyon, where I had originally planned to park. I had a rental Dodge 1500 Ram pickup truck, but the darn thing did not have 4-wheel drive and I was paranoid about getting stuck in a rough spot (although in hindsight, the road was not all that bad). The moon still visible.

 

Looking west at the moon
Looking west at the moon

 

Half a mile before entering the canyon, I found a parking spot and decided to start my hike. By the time I began to hike, it had become 8:00 AM. It was 50 degrees F and elevation was 2165 ft. View of Signal Peak.

 

Signal Peak
Signal Peak

 

Looking south.

 

Looking south
Looking south

 

Began to walk up the road into Kofa Queen Canyon. Impressive spires rose around me.

 

Entering Kofa Queen Canyon
Entering Kofa Queen Canyon
Entering Kofa Queen Canyon
Entering Kofa Queen Canyon

 

I was going southeast directly into the early morning sun. Saw a vehicle in the distance where a few people had camped. As it has happened so many times before, without even seeing a dog, I sarcastically told myself that I was about to be attacked by a mad dog and sure enough a crazy barking dog came running at me. I have no problem defending myself against a dog, but it is the mad owner that I don’t want to deal with. That situation fortunately resolved without a problem. Beautiful views in the canyon.

 

Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon

 

Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon

 

Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon

 

Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon

 

A second vehicle had camped at a place called Skull Rock (I left the picture taking for the return leg of the hike hoping that the campers would be gone). I did not have an exact GPS track but had entered the approximate path into my GPS. At 9:18 AM, 3.21 miles and 2840 ft elevation, I reached the valley where I had to leave the road and find the beaten path that went to the summit. Ten Ewe Mountain could be seen.

 

Ten Ewe Mountain
Ten Ewe Mountain

 

Got into the valley and began to hike up the bottom of the dry wash.

 

Start of Signal Peak Trail, Ten Ewe Mtn seen
Start of Signal Peak Trail, Ten Ewe Mtn seen
On Signal Peak Trail
On Signal Peak Trail

 

Saw a cairn that led me out of the wash and onto a well beaten path that went up a slope. Months ago, when planning this trip, I had seen the path on satellite photos. Noted a couple coming up not too far behind me. The sun was starting to make me feel hot.

 

On Signal Peak Trail
On Signal Peak Trail

 

On Signal Peak Trail
On Signal Peak Trail
On Signal Peak Trail
On Signal Peak Trail

 

On Signal Peak Trail
On Signal Peak Trail

 

 

I then went into the shade and reached a place where the path was no longer visible. On satellite photos too, I had noted that the path disappeared around there. On the left, there was what looked like a steep dry creek bed and, on the right, a not so promising path. Went right and soon realized that it went nowhere. Came back and waited until the couple behind me arrived. They were the same people who had camped at Skull Rock and said they had climbed the mountain once before and the correct path went up the steep creek bed. I let them get a little ahead and then began to go up the steep slope until at 10:30 AM, 4.22 miles and 3880 ft, I reached a “saddle” where the couple were resting. I too stopped to drink water and talk to the couple. Wind began to blow making me feel cool/cold. In a few minutes, I had gone from feeling hot to feeling cold. Looking down the slope I had climbed.

 

Looking northeast from the 3880 ft saddle
Looking northeast from the 3880 ft saddle

 

Peaks could be seen rising around me but none of them turned out to be Signal Peak.

 

From the 3880 ft saddle
From the 3880 ft saddle

 

The couple left and a few minutes later, I began to continue up the path, which was again well-defined.

 

On Signal Peak Trail
On Signal Peak Trail
On Signal Peak Trail
On Signal Peak Trail

 

On Signal Peak Trail
On Signal Peak Trail

 

 

Reached the summit at 11:15 AM and 5.16 miles. The jagged alpine scenery was very dramatic. The couple were there. Had to put on my coat to protect me from the wind.

The rugged peaks to the southeast.

 

Looking southeast from the summit of Signal Peak
Looking southeast from the summit of Signal Peak

 

View northeast.

 

Looking NE from the summit of Signal Peak
Looking NE from the summit of Signal Peak

 

Looking northwest.

 

Looking NW from the summit of Signal Peak
Looking NW from the summit of Signal Peak

 

West/Southwest.

 

Looking west from the summit of Signal Peak
Looking west from the summit of Signal Peak

 

Zoomed view of Castle Dome area to the south.

 

Zoomed view of Castle Dome Area, south from the summit of Signal Peak
Zoomed view of Castle Dome Area, south from the summit of Signal Peak

 

Sat there to eat, drink and enjoy the views. The couple left saying they were going to climb Ten Ewe Mountain. I left at 11:40 AM going back down the way I had come. Could not get enough of those peaks to the southeast.

 

Below the summit of Signal Peak
Below the summit of Signal Peak

 

 

Below the summit of Signal Peak
Below the summit of Signal Peak

 

 

On the way down.

 

Below the summit of Signal Peak
Below the summit of Signal Peak

 

Ten Ewe Mountain.

 

Ten Ewe Mountain
Ten Ewe Mountain

 

Ten Ewe Mountain
Ten Ewe Mountain

 

 

Further down.

 

On the trail
On the trail

 

The “saddle” on the right.

 

The 3880 ft Saddle
The 3880 ft Saddle

 

Reached the 3880 ft saddle at 12:39 PM and 6.16 miles.

 

Looking below the 3880 ft saddle
Looking below the 3880 ft saddle

 

Below the saddle
Below the saddle

 

Going down what I called the dry creek bed.

 

Below the saddle
Below the saddle

 

 

Below the saddle
Below the saddle
Below the saddle
Below the saddle

 

Back on the well beaten path, I was actually able to follow it all the way to the road.

 

Signal Peak Trail
Signal Peak Trail

 

 

Signal Peak Trail
Signal Peak Trail
Signal Peak Trail
Signal Peak Trail
Signal Peak Trail
Signal Peak Trail

 

Signal Peak Trail
Signal Peak Trail

 

At 1:35 PM, 7.16 miles and 2840 ft reached the road where I took another break.

 

Start of the Signal Peak Trail
Start of the Signal Peak Trail

 

On the road in Kofa Queen Canyon.

 

Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon

 

Skull Rock.

 

Skull Rock, Kofa Queen Canyon
Skull Rock, Kofa Queen Canyon

 

More beautiful views.

 

Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon

 

Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon

 

 

The spire was casting a long and narrow shadow over the road. I took this picture just before going into the shade.

 

Sun going behind the horn
Sun going behind the horn

 

Another wall casting its shadow over the road.

 

Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon

 

Twice I ran into people walking up the road. One was an older gentleman who said he was having the time of his life. I could certainly understand why. The weather was so pleasant.

 

Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon

 

Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon
Kofa Queen Canyon

 

Out of the canyon, I walked another half mile to reach my truck at 2:57 PM and 10.38 miles. I still had a 1.5-hour drive back to Yuma. Signal Peak from where I started my hike.

 

Signal Peak from near where I started my hike
Signal Peak from near where I started my hike
Signal Peak from where I started my hike
Signal Peak from where I started my hike

 

 

Looking back at Signal Peak from near Route 95.

 

Signal Peak from near Route 95
Signal Peak from near Route 95

 

 

 



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Signal PeakTrip Reports